C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Bubble on tire sidewall

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 05:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 c350 Coupe
Bubble on tire sidewall

While washing my car yesterday, I noticed a small bubble on my passenger tire's sidewall. I called the tire shop where I bought my tires from today, and he informed me because my MB is a 4MATIC, if there's a difference in tire wear above 2/32's between tires, it'll cause transfer case issues. I had prepared myself to replace both front tires, but based on my discussion with them, it now seems like all 4 need to be replaced. The tires are 3 years old, but because we have laws that oblige us to switch to winter tires, I only put about 10k miles on them. While it's a crappy situation, I was hoping to get away with "just" replacing the 2 front tires. Has anyone heard of this before?

Turns out I missed the cutoff on my 36 month road hazard warranty by 2 days, (purchased July 11, 2012) and that these tires are now discontinued. They're hoping to explain the situation in the morning to the manufacturer and will try to get me a goodwill rebate on the model my tires have been replaced with. I'd be purchasing 1 tire at full price (the one with the bubble), and 3 others at a reduction equivalent to the wear on my tires. Would you guys agree to this and think it's a fair offer, assuming this is what will be offered to me?
Old 07-13-2015, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 118 Likes on 109 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic Sport Sedan
I think if your only 2 days off they should cover them all free of charge if your nice and persistent I'm sure luck will be on your side
Old 07-13-2015, 08:00 PM

2013 c350 Coupe
Thanks newmbmarko - even if I was within the cutoff, unfortunately, the best I could have gotten with the 36 month road hazard warranty was like $10 off a new tire, as the value depreciated by 35/36, regardless of wear or mileage.

I did just return from Canadian Tire, and they do stock the new replacement tire (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3). These come with a 60 month road hazard warranty, and like my current set, it depreciates by 1/60 every month. Or, for an additional $50 for all 4 tires, they provide lifetime coverage, and will replace all four tires on vehicles that have an AWD system. That certainly seems worth it! The reviews for it in the snow are pretty poor, so that's my only issue with them. While we're obliged by law to put on winter tires by December 15th every year, we do get some snow before that date over here.

That led me to find the Continental ExtremeContact DWS - it has gotten awesome reviews on tirerack and the price is even more affordable than the Michelins. Again, for $50, the lifetime road hazard warranty is a no brainer, so depending on what the tire shop offers me tomorrow, I might be placing an order for those!
Old 07-13-2015, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by babyboxer1
Thanks newmbmarko - even if I was within the cutoff, unfortunately, the best I could have gotten with the 36 month road hazard warranty was like $10 off a new tire, as the value depreciated by 35/36, regardless of wear or mileage.

I did just return from Canadian Tire, and they do stock the new replacement tire (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3). These come with a 60 month road hazard warranty, and like my current set, it depreciates by 1/60 every month. Or, for an additional $50 for all 4 tires, they provide lifetime coverage, and will replace all four tires on vehicles that have an AWD system. That certainly seems worth it! The reviews for it in the snow are pretty poor, so that's my only issue with them. While we're obliged by law to put on winter tires by December 15th every year, we do get some snow before that date over here.

That led me to find the Continental ExtremeContact DWS - it has gotten awesome reviews on tirerack and the price is even more affordable than the Michelins. Again, for $50, the lifetime road hazard warranty is a no brainer, so depending on what the tire shop offers me tomorrow, I might be placing an order for those!
i just got the Continental ExtremeContact DWS they seem pretty damn good to me and the reviews where what sold me. They sound a lot quieter than the conti pros that where on the oem rims and the tread pattern looks like it can handle a lot
Old 07-13-2015, 08:17 PM

2013 c350 Coupe
Oh nice - I saw your rims on your other post, they look sweet by the way!

Question for you since you're a fellow Canadian, does $724 before tax for the ExtremeContact DWS's seem like a good deal? That price is for two 225/45/17's and two 245/40/17's.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Oh nice - I saw your rims on your other post, they look sweet by the way!

Question for you since you're a fellow Canadian, does $724 before tax for the ExtremeContact DWS's seem like a good deal? That price is for two 225/45/17's and two 245/40/17's.
thanks! ya that seems right i got 225/40 18 front and 255/35 18 rear it was 863$
Old 07-13-2015, 08:30 PM

2013 c350 Coupe
Originally Posted by newmbmarko
thanks! ya that seems right i got 225/40 18 front and 255/35 18 rear it was 863$
Thanks, compared it on CT just to see if my price was on par, and it shows your set for $834. Checked a few other sites and CT really seems to offer the best price.

They really surprised me with that lifetime road hazard warranty deal for only $50. If I go back tomorrow and order the tires, I will ask him to explain it to me one more time and make sure he shows it to me in writing.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks, compared it on CT just to see if my price was on par, and it shows your set for $834. Checked a few other sites and CT really seems to offer the best price.

They really surprised me with that lifetime road hazard warranty deal for only $50. If I go back tomorrow and order the tires, I will ask him to explain it to me one more time and make sure he shows it to me in writing.
ya CT has that my father has that on his tires the trick is when ur tires wear curb them and get new ones often hahaha he's on set3 already the CT automotive manage in London literally told him to do that. its worth the warranty.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:09 PM

2013 c350 Coupe
Originally Posted by newmbmarko
ya CT has that my father has that on his tires the trick is when ur tires wear curb them and get new ones often hahaha he's on set3 already the CT automotive manage in London literally told him to do that. its worth the warranty.
If it's anything like their warranty on tools, then yeah... no questions asked, they just replace!
Old 08-23-2015, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB CLS550, MB ML350, LEXUS RX350, LEXUS SC430, LEXUS GX460, LEXUSGX470
Here's my experience. It appears that sidewall bubbles (that is, failures) with Continental Tires (e.g., ProContact, etc.) are a known problem that both MB and Continental ignores. I had a 2012 CLS with about 5000 miles and no rim damage. A very large bubble developed. The dealership curtly denied the claim (claiming "road hazzard"). I explained that normal wear and tear on a car subjects it to cement cracks, pot holes, etc. And here there was no rim damage. I was so irritated, I left the car at the dealership and terminated the lease, bringing an arbitration claim which is now pending against MB. I welcome anyone with bubbles on their Continental Tires to contact me. sfeldman@feldlaw.com.

To make matters worse, I then bought another CLS550 (2015) and the same thing happened at 300 miles. The dealership denied the warranty claim. I amended the arbitration demand to include this matter as well. I checked out the Continental ProContact tire at a couple of tire stores; the response was that Continental tires have known failures on their side walls. Apparently, its construction relative to other tires makes the tire susceptible to bubbles/failures. Where I come from, we call this a manufacturing defect.

The bottom line is both Continental and MB is putting poor products into the market place. I'm back to Lexus for my next car. In twenty years of dealing with Lexus, I've next had such poor service and the failure of the manufacturer to stand behind the product.