C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Plasti dipping wheels?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c300
Plasti dipping wheels?

Hey guys, has anyone plasti dipped their wheels I'm thinking about plasti dipping these grey. If so was it hard share your experience.
Attached Thumbnails Plasti dipping wheels?-image-4071165041.jpg  
Old 09-07-2015, 01:08 PM

2009 C300 4matic
I did, but on a different car. I put a garbage bag behind the wheel to protect the brakes, calipers, etc. It was easy to do...just take your time. Only thing was it was a PITA to get it even and in the nooks with it still on the car.

A friend did his, but took each wheel off. His looks more even all around.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
'13 M5 | 08 C300 (Sold)
Originally Posted by zachblev
Hey guys, has anyone plasti dipped their wheels I'm thinking about plasti dipping these grey. If so was it hard share your experience.
I've plasticdipped plenty of my friends cars (mines are painted). It is really use to do. If you want to do a color, its just going to need to cleaning. I would recommended taking all four tires off (jacks stands) and doing them at once. You get a much cleaner look. If you cant do all four, do each side at a time (ie left side, right side). Looking into metailizer or glossifer for your final coats. We ended up doing around 8 coats of dip and two of glossifer. Look up dipyourcar on youtube and you can learn alot that will help you when you do it.

Be sure to post some before/after pictures too.

Best of luck,
Old 09-07-2015, 11:29 PM

mercedes c250, 08 vette blown with meth (680 rwhp)
OP I have the same wheels as you and plasti dipped them. they looked good for a while but they were very hard to clean and a pain in the azz to remove the plasti dip. I just spent the money to have them powder coated. I did have to leave the center caps with plasti dip on them. Here in Vegas powdercoating only cost $400 and they dismount the tires and re mount and balance.

Last edited by speedraider; 09-08-2015 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:51 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
C300 sport
Originally Posted by zachblev
I have the stock 2009 17's and I plastidipped them for a few years. If I had classy, gorgeous AMG rims, I wouldn't have needed to.

It's cool for a while, but I feel it gives off a feeling of immaturity or diminished class on our vehicles. I can expound on that in more detail if you want me to. My car definitely looked lower, and more intimidating. It was a royal pain to get off, even when applied in exceedingly numerous coats. Brake dust will begin to coat it and even if you wash them, it stays brown. After a year, the plastidip becomes thin, hard and brittle and will not peel with the same elasticity as when you first applied it.

That was my experience. I'm stuck now, between dipping my wheels black again or leaving it looking classy with the OEM aluminum. I can't justify dropping $800+ just for better looking rims. Soooo...even with the difficulty of removing the plastidip, I'll probably end up dipping them again for a little while.

While I personally wouldn't plastidip those beautiful two tone rims, I think you would like it. If you change your mind, just remove it!
Old 09-08-2015, 07:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 M-Class ML350
Plastidipped mine and it looked great.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 ML350 Bluetech
I Plasti dipped my stock winters and they look great and last a long time. When they get dull I just give them another coat! Looks good enough for winter in Canada.