C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Metal fragments in rubber plug of gearbox bell housing of 2008 320 CDI 7-sp

Old 09-19-2015, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C320 CDI 2008
Metal fragments in rubber plug of gearbox bell housing of 2008 320 CDI 7-sp

Hi guys,
I apologise for asking a question straight off

Wonder if anyone is able to advise. I have a C320 CDI 2008 (W204) with a 7-speed gearbox which has done 42,000 miles. I was about to have the gearbox oil and filter change, but mechanic then showed me the inside of the rubber plug which you remove to access the torque converter and its drain point. Within it were quite a few metal bits. He said he hasn't seen this before, but that it would suggest possibly either the oil pump or torque converter were breaking up, or something close by. He said the gearbox needs to come off for further investigation, but warned it could even mean a new gearbox is needed. What got me to call in the mechanic in the first place was the fact that the car is a little jerky when changing up and down through the gears, though there is no whine or concerning noise audible, and the car is able to change up and down through the gears. The complication is that where he needs it off-road to service is not really close, so I may have to go to a main dealer near me.

Anyway, been researching this the last few nights. People talk about seeing metal fragments in the sump of the gearbox, but not in the rubber plug that provides access to the torque converter. Has anyone experienced this before? The mileage just seems too low.

Many thanks in advance,
JB
Old 09-19-2015, 07:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
I would tell your mechanic---that's an access boot and have him stay the course and change the fluid and filter---if he wants to remove the transmission, have him buy one and play with his!!
Old 09-19-2015, 09:54 PM

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
W204 C200, BMW E30 M3, 1980Gt Mini, Toyota Corona, KTM 200 EXC.
Hi
What your mechanic is seeing is debris which have collected in the bottom go the bell housing, if the rubber plug was not there these items would fall out on the road which is the case on most older cars.

Okay what are they where did the come from and how did they get there you are probably asking your self.
The bell housing cavity contains the torque converter and starter drive as the two only moving items.

I would very much suspect the metal fragments are from normal wear and tear of the from the process of the starter drive bendex gear engaging with the drive teeth on the flexi plate which the torque converter is bolted to.

I have seen this before quite normal nothing to be concerned about.

For me the Real concern in the is with the advise your were given “"pump or torque converter were breaking up”””
what aloud of complete Cr.p.

Take your car to someone who knows what they are doing and are honest and reliable, other wise buy some tools and have a go at fixing it yourself.
Old 09-20-2015, 03:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C320 CDI 2008
Thanks, guys, that's reassuring! I'll go ahead with oil and filter change and assess the gearbox after that. Thanks again!