C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Depo HID headlight problem

Old 09-21-2015, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
Depo HID headlight problem

I bought the depo projector headlights with HIDs from USR about 3 months ago. Everything has been fine until recently the whole unit (low beam, turn signal, parking light, high beam, the whole headlamp) will go out intermittently. It started out only happening every few weeks, and I would turn the car off and back on a few times and it would kick on. Now as of a few days ago it stays off most of the time and will kick on every once in a while. It's obviously not the bulbs, since it does turn on every 10 starts or so. I think I've narrowed it down to either the ballast is all ready going out or I've read it could possibly be a bad ground wire connection? Just wondering if anyone has had similar issues and what the resolution was?
Old 09-21-2015, 10:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C250 Sport
I don't have these but I have read a lot posts on them. Did you check all of the wires to make sure they are connected good and not lose? And check the ground wires? That's the best place to start. After that would be to get a different ballast and swap it out to see if that fixes the problem..
Old 09-21-2015, 01:48 PM

2010 C300 Sport
Yeah I figured that it's one of the two. I haven't had a chance to follow the wiring harness yet to check the ground. I have my ballast mounted right behind the stock plug-in for the head lamp, so I'll have to remove it to un plug it and check the wires. From just a peek and quick push and pull, everything seems nice and tight. Praying its a loose wire or bad ground over the ballast.

The whole headlight has been out for almost 2 days, and it randomly popped on this morning when I started the car.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:22 PM

2010 C200 CDI Sport
I have them, but haven't installed them yet. I've tested them, nothing worked at first but had to reseat the connector constantly and finally they powered up fine. The connection on the lights don't 'click' into place on the cars connector like the OEM would, so I'm guessing it's just a matter of keeping it a tight fit

The depo headlight pins were extremely loose, pulled most of them back out with pliers but one fell in too far, which I still need to get fixed. I have a photo of the connections which might help, I'll find it on my phone and post in a sec
Old 11-15-2015, 02:41 PM

2010 C200 CDI Sport
Can't post the pic as my phone is playing up but I'll try mark them out on here

Looking at the back of the headlight at the connector...

1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8

1- Brown > LED
2- White > LED
3- Brown & White > LED/Turning
4- Red > High beam
5- Brown > Motor
6- Black > Motor
7- Black > Low beam
8- Red > Motor