C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Headlight upgrade advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 05:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204 C
Headlight upgrade advice

So what's the whole consensus on upgrading the stock halogen headlights? I've read a thread on the depo headlights but it seems that it isn't reliable long term(high beam issues and inner c flickering). I wanted lighting package when I purchased my car but my dealer had a difficult time finding one at the time.

I think I've read that there is a more expensive version of aftermarket headlights, but can't seem to find the thread or post. Any input is greatly appreciated
Old 09-25-2015, 11:53 AM

2013 C300 4MATIC
What housing do you currently have for your headlights? Is it the projector housing or is it the reflector housing?
Old 09-25-2015, 12:00 PM

W204 C
Originally Posted by 09stevent
What housing do you currently have for your headlights? Is it the projector housing or is it the reflector housing?
Reflector housing. Should have mentioned face lift w204
Old 09-25-2015, 03:23 PM

2013 C300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by jpdaballa
Reflector housing. Should have mentioned face lift w204
It depends what your needs are. Are you looking to upgrade to HID bulbs? If so, you have 2 options:

Option 1: You can retrofit a projector housing unit into your vehicle. This will obviously void your warranty, but it will probably be the best (quality-wise) way of approaching this. This can be done as a DIY or you can find a local shop that will do it for you.

Option 2: You can use an HID conversion kit to replace your halogen bulbs with HID bulbs. The parts involved in this are the bulbs and the ballasts that power the bulbs. The conversion kit is the route that I decided to take on my 2013 C300 4MATIC. You can check out AZN Optics for their high quality Morimoto kit (that's the one that I went with in 5000K since that's the pure white temperature that matches my LED DRL's and my illuminated tar). The self conversion is quite simple and shouldn't take more than 30min-1 hour.

Please let me know if you have anymore questions. I had a hard time gathering content on this when I was looking, so I'll be more than happy to help you through your decision.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:55 PM

W204 C
Originally Posted by 09stevent
It depends what your needs are. Are you looking to upgrade to HID bulbs? If so, you have 2 options:

Option 1: You can retrofit a projector housing unit into your vehicle. This will obviously void your warranty, but it will probably be the best (quality-wise) way of approaching this. This can be done as a DIY or you can find a local shop that will do it for you.

Option 2: You can use an HID conversion kit to replace your halogen bulbs with HID bulbs. The parts involved in this are the bulbs and the ballasts that power the bulbs. The conversion kit is the route that I decided to take on my 2013 C300 4MATIC. You can check out AZN Optics for their high quality Morimoto kit (that's the one that I went with in 5000K since that's the pure white temperature that matches my LED DRL's and my illuminated tar). The self conversion is quite simple and shouldn't take more than 30min-1 hour.

Please let me know if you have anymore questions. I had a hard time gathering content on this when I was looking, so I'll be more than happy to help you through your decision.
I already have a hid kit but I don't like how the light is scattered out everywhere. I was talking more along the lines of switching out the actual headlight assembly for an aftermarket one with projectors. My cars a lease so retrofitting myself wouldn't be an option.

Last edited by jpdaballa; 09-25-2015 at 05:03 PM.