C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

New CPO owner nightmare: all wheels bent. Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 118 Likes on 109 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic Sport Sedan
wow id be happy with that hope it all works out I'm sure it will you have a brand new car now.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:33 PM

Received 87 Likes on 84 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Glad it worked out for you in the end Sadpanda. Hindsight is a wonderful thing....in hindsight. With a CPO car you should expect it to look and drive virtually as new and if not, don't take possession of it until it is. As you found out, unless it is in writing it doesn't exist. Hard to believe the dealer wouldn't have fixed the windshield and obvious tire vibration before even putting it out on the lot, especially a CPO car. To me that was a big red flag right there.You would have to question what kind of inspection took place that would pass something that obvious. If that dealership would do something like that, imagine the other corners they probably cut every day. But, in the end you prevailed. I think part of the reason is you remained calm and tried to work with them instead of flying off the handle making empty threats. Probably helped make it easier that someone would want to help you.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes Benz GLK250
Originally Posted by sadpanda
Hey everyone,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. MBWorld was instrumental in helping me make my
purchase decision and the vast knowledge that's already been spread on this forum helped me a great deal through the purchase and early ownership process.
That said, I've had bad luck with the CPO 2013 C300 that I bought from a dealer in a nearby state last month, and would really appreciate all your suggestions about the following two things:

Here's the most onerous issue: the car was vibrating from the moment I test drove it. A quick conversation with the sales rep led me to believe that it was just a matter of tire pressures. Drove the car home and the vibrations were still there. Cut to three weeks later and I finally have the chance to take the car for a proper drive. Realized that it definitely wasn't the tire pressures and brought the car to my local dealer. The dealer diagnosed three bent rims. They had a guy come in to repair those rims. The vibrations got better, but didn't go away. And just to kick my car when it's down, when I took it car to the best independent in town for a Road Force balance, they found that not only were the three worked-on rims still out of round, but the 4th is as out of round well. The independent said that the damage is so bad that there's no way to fix the wheels any further and refused to do the balance because it'd be a waste of money.

So, I'm stuck with a lot of wobbling and vibrating, and the new tires that were put on as part of the CPO process will soon start to wear unevenly. Because it seems like I'll have to pay more the longer I wait, I've decided to purchase a complete set of replacement rims. The cost from the local dealer is $1,850 (including mounting with the existing tires, balancing and a 10% discount), and that's for refurbished rims (they couldn't find any new ones in their system).

Does anyone have any alternative suggestions? I'm extremely wary of buying refurbished rims from a non-dealer. Other dealers have quoted even higher costs. I've looked at aftermarket wheels, but I haven't been able to nail down which specific 17" or 18" ones would be highly durable, and I don't want to risk pouring more money down the drain.

All in all, I'm looking at almost $2,500 for repairing/replacing all 4 rims within six weeks of purchase. I'd definitely appreciate any suggestions on how to find a cheaper solution without risking that I'll end up with equally substandard replacement wheels. Do any of you think I should just stick with the wobbly wheels? Anyone recommend any aftermarket brands over OEM for durability?
Hi,
Sorry to hear about your wheel issues. You mentioned this is a cpo vehicle? Why on earth did you not call your salesman and complain to him or her? They should have made good on that at no charge to you.
I bought a 2013 glk250 last year. This was not a cpo suv, but instead an executive dealer demo with 7300 miles. After I got it home I noticed the brakes were pulsing when applied. I called the salesman and he arranged my appointment. Upon the tech test driving and examining the brakes, they determined it needed new rotors and brake shoes on all 4 wheels. That was free to me. . Made my day. If I were you, I would still call that salesman and raise hell.
Good luck.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts
2013 C250 Sport
I never trust CPO or the "detailed and stringent" used car inspection process. It's all BS. They make it a huge selling point and the moment something comes up those words are often empty and the salesmen become too busy to talk all of a sudden.

But as far as that original car goes it must have hit something really hard on the road to do that damage. No telling what else would have been off.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c300 4matic
Well in my case...My c300 wasnt a CPO but I did have 3 bent rims that I mentioned in this forum before...I just recently got them re-painted which took 3 days because the Parts manager did not like the way that they came out so the RIM guys who are on site did all four of my rims for the price of two. and i had a 2016 c300 for three days free of charge as usual.
Mercedes in West Chester always offers something to keep you coming back.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
1986 Porsche 911 Coupe, a 2002 CLK320 & 2013 C300
please delete

delete

Last edited by Silver_Arrows; 01-06-2018 at 01:38 PM. Reason: please delete, erroneoous post
Old 11-29-2018, 12:13 PM
JK2

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 E300 4MATIC
I just bought a 2017 CPO'd E class and found both rear wheels were bent after I noticed a very slight vibration at 70 MPH. I had purchased the tire/wheel insurance, so damages are minimal, but this thread plus my own experience makes me realize I placed WAY too much trust in the CPO program. I would love to share my experience w/ someone higher up than my sales rep; any suggestions there?
Old 11-29-2018, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 133 Posts
2012 C300 4MATIC Sport
Originally Posted by JK2
I just bought a 2017 CPO'd E class and found both rear wheels were bent after I noticed a very slight vibration at 70 MPH. I had purchased the tire/wheel insurance, so damages are minimal, but this thread plus my own experience makes me realize I placed WAY too much trust in the CPO program. I would love to share my experience w/ someone higher up than my sales rep; any suggestions there?
Call MBUSA and file your complaint there and they will take care of you.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:23 PM

Received 72 Likes on 70 Posts
Mercedes w204 4matic sport
Being someone who's in this industry, and was hired to do CPO's and safety inspections, and has worked at multiple dealerships of various manufacturers as a tech I'll say this. Buy from a good dealership when it comes to CPO/used cars! I'll explain, The OP's experience is the way it was because that dealership he bought it from is shady plain and simple IMHO. The excuses he was given are unacceptable in my opinion. that car had no business being a CPO car, from what was said I would have failed it instantly(in that current condition) and it would have been going to auction. so maybe I should explain what it is for CPO's.

When I do a CPO inspection I have a process I follow. First a quick short initial test drive, I check for vibrations/noises/pulling. I then bring it in and go through all the electrical features, seat controls/sun roof/etc. I do a full interior inspection, seats/carpet/etc for stains/tears/rips/odors/etc. I put the car up in the air while its in drive to check for bent rims (probably the #1 reason my CPO inspections are declined because bent rim=new rim=money sales don't want to spend). I inspect the vehicle frame/structure for accident damage (don't get me started on "it's got a clean "car fax"" BS). If it was damaged, instant fail no CPO non-negotiable. I inspect all of the suspension, check for ANY leaks, check the brakes, check tires(most get new tires). I check for any body damage and signs of the car being painted by a body shop. I then do a full diagnostic scan to check for fault codes (DTC's). The cars maintenance history also has to pass. I then give my report with the estimate cost to make it a CPO including all recommendations and findings, then I do any work I find on it covered by factory warranty. It is then up to the used car sales manager as to wether he wants the car or sends it to auction. If approved, I do all the work needed, and a final test drive to confirm the car is good. I also include an inspection check list report of the vehicle "pre-CPO" that is 4 pages that you are supposed to see. I have done a lot of cars in the span of my employment at the dealer I work at, and not once was there a "comeback" that involved my certification. Not every person in the shop can do this properly, it's not cut-and-dry to do it properly. ask what level/kind of techs do their CPO's, do they have a specific "team or group" and what are their qualifications/experience. we pay a premium for a CPO, it should be a cream puff if you understand what I mean

I said that dealer who sold the OP is shady and this is why. it's the management. trust me, the tech that looked at the car knew about the problems. But sales didn't want to pay the cost to fix it and "forced it's CPO approval", and it would happen because they pay the guy/girl and if he/she didn't do it sales won't give him work. Of course there is also a big factor on the quality of work but that is dependent on the Technician. The thing is, a legit dealership will not do that, and they will not have someone who does bad work do their CPO's.

That "MB wheels are soft so its normal email" is a BS excuse if I ever heard one,unacceptanble. If a wheel is damaged structurally (even if repairable) you at the very least fix it, if it can't be fixed you replace it (repair vs. replace depends on mfg and dealer, some repair but it's 100% new where I am for damaged wheels).

the Cracked windshield should not be there on a car that "is CPO'ed".

brake pulsations happen on CPO'ed cars, dealer should just have fixed it upon his complaint.

The local dealer stood up for the OP, VERY good sign they will give him the proper service he deserves and hopefully will restore his faith as he does sound like an upstanding person.

I see all over youtube the "CPO is a gimmick videos", that labels a hard working honest person like me as a crook and I really hate that! for a legit dealer it is the "real deal". If you want a true CPO for your money go to an upstanding/professional dealership.

I just thought an inside opinion on this post was needed.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 C300 Sport 4Matic
Call your local dealer service manager and plead for help. That's what I did. Bought CPO c300 and a few days later had a blow out. Brought it to a tire shop who informed me that the tires were worn beyond passing inspection. When I said I just bought it, they recommended escalating to the dealer. The new dealer liked the idea of informing MB that one of their competitors was cutting CPO corners..and they got MB to agree to replace my tires, on their dime and bill back the selling dealer! Now I've got new tires and a great relationship with my local service manager.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:08 PM

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 CL55, 2003 SL55 and 2009 G55
You check or changed motor mounts and trans mount? Checked sub frame bushings and half shafts checked?