C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Upgraded from 2006 W203 to 2014 W204 and have some questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 09:03 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 C300
Upgraded from 2006 W203 to 2014 W204 and have some questions

I traded my 06 in on a 2014 W203 Sport and while I realize there are quite a different beast I have a few questions. I should probably also mention that this was one of the dealer's loaner cars and has just over 10k miles on it.

I understand that the Sport model (and this newer generation in general) is going to feel "bouncier" than my W203, but this ride is very bouncy. I drove a 2015 Coupe as a loaner a while back and felt like it was more bouncy than my W203 but I almost feel like it was not *this* bouncy. Thoughts?

It seems that whenever I engage reverse and the passenger mirror adjusts to the parking position when I engage drive it seems like it takes about 5-7 seconds before the mirror moves back to the normal position. In my 06 this process was basically instantaneous. Is that normal for the W204?

I've also felt both the driver and passenger seat bottoms flex up/down when moving around on them. They don't move much, and I feel like this happened every once in awhile in my W203 but I chalked it up to being an older car and having a slightly loose seat bottom. Is this a common thing, or anything to worry about?

I've also noticed several times when at a complete stop and going over to the accelerator very lightly (because I'm still learning the car) there are times when I almost feel like the car is about to die... Kind of feels like when you have a manual and the gear is too high for the current speed and you get that hesitation right before it is about to die unless you take it out of gear. As soon as I push the accelerator a little further everything is fine and smooth.

Something that really bothers me is that cosmetically on the passenger door on multiple panels there is a white-ish, what appears to be residue from cleaning products used, that I cannot get to come off. I've tried just a cloth and water and scrubbing. I've used the MB Cockpit cleaner that I got with my interior cleaning kit a while back. This seems to make it appear remedied but once fully dry you can see the area where the "residue" is located. It almost looks like something was sprayed and let run down without wiping off, but appears to have stained the door panel. This goes from the top portion of the window sill downwards and even on the armrest which is a different color/type of plastic. I'm not really sure what to make of this, but it *really* bothers me. I feel like it wasn't there when I test drove it and whenever it came back from detail was like that. Do you think that is something the dealer would make right even if it meant replacing the door panels? I didn't spend what I spent to have this kind of cosmetic issue that I didn't notice at all when I first looked over the car. When it first came back from detail I just assumed they did a lazy job and didn't wipe up that side, but like I said I can't seem to get it to come all the way off. I know that MB touts that with buying a CPO you have the 7-day/500 mile exchange privilege and this is the kind of thing where if the dealer is going to be a pain I'd like to pull that card.

Otherwise I absolutely love the car and it is a huge upgrade from what I had previously. I've heard a lot of people bashing the I-4 engine's performance, but compared to the C280 V6 I was driving before this thing is much faster, off the line, and all throughout the powerband it feels peppier. I'm also digging the added fuel economy.

I'll definitely be going over all these things with the dealer but I was curious to get other opinions.

Last edited by jlr82; 09-26-2015 at 09:06 PM.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 c350 Coupe
Originally Posted by jlr82
It seems that whenever I engage reverse and the passenger mirror adjusts to the parking position when I engage drive it seems like it takes about 5-7 seconds before the mirror moves back to the normal position. In my 06 this process was basically instantaneous. Is that normal for the W204?

I've also felt both the driver and passenger seat bottoms flex up/down when moving around on them. They don't move much, and I feel like this happened every once in awhile in my W203 but I chalked it up to being an older car and having a slightly loose seat bottom. Is this a common thing, or anything to worry about?

I've also noticed several times when at a complete stop and going over to the accelerator very lightly (because I'm still learning the car) there are times when I almost feel like the car is about to die... Kind of feels like when you have a manual and the gear is too high for the current speed and you get that hesitation right before it is about to die unless you take it out of gear. As soon as I push the accelerator a little further everything is fine and smooth.
Yes it's normal for the mirror to take a 3-5 seconds to lower when you put it in reverse and same for when you put it back into drive.

Doesn't your 2014 have the Eco drive option? So it's probably not about to 'die', but it sounds like what you're describing is the car about to get into the Eco mode, where the engine shuts off when you come to a complete stop.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:23 PM

2018 C300
Originally Posted by babyboxer1
Yes it's normal for the mirror to take a 3-5 seconds to lower when you put it in reverse and same for when you put it back into drive.

Doesn't your 2014 have the Eco drive option? So it's probably not about to 'die', but it sounds like what you're describing is the car about to get into the Eco mode, where the engine shuts off when you come to a complete stop.
Mine does not have the ECO option.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:15 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
The tires on the sport have a much smaller side wall than your old C and will give a much "bouncier" feel while probably handling curves better. The luxury version is probably more like your old C. The hesitation you think you feel is the transmission trying to decide what you want to do. It is confused because it has adapted to the driving style of the previous drivers and will take some time to modify itself to your way of driving. There is a method to reset the transmission to original factory settings by pressing the gas all the way down while you turn the key but you will need to look at the "sticky" do it your self at the top of this forum to find the exact method.
Your old C also had the ability to remember if you were in C (or maybe it was W for winter) or S mode. My wife always drove in S mode unless the snow was on the ground. It made the car feel more sporty. Also it only had to think about 6 speeds and I think your new one is a 7 speed. So, the lag for the computer to make up its mind about what you want to do seems even longer.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:58 AM

2018 C300
I did know about the transmission reset because I had to do it very frequently in my previous C280 otherwise it always shifted like crap. I did reset it a few days ago, but I haven't driven it much this past weekend to experience anything. I'll see how it changes anything with the hesitation on a light take off.

I also had two warning messages flash up on Saturday, one that I think just said check rear left brake lamp and then another that I think said check tail and vent lamp. I checked all the lamps and they all looked fine and the messages didn't come back after pressing okay and stopping/starting the engine again. I'll definitely report it to the dealer because I've read that there can be some issues with the harnesses and other components of the lighting system in the rear.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 BMW 550i xDrive; 2017 GLC300; 2013 C300 (SOLD)
Congrats on the new car. The W204 comes with Sachs shocks, which translate to pure junk. If you want to hugely improve the ride and eliminate the bounce, consider upgrading to the Bilstein HD (B6) shocks. Trust me, the difference is night and day. These are the shocks that the car should have come with from the factory.

As for the door panel, can you post a pic?
Old 09-28-2015, 08:30 PM

2018 C300
Originally Posted by spielnicht
Congrats on the new car. The W204 comes with Sachs shocks, which translate to pure junk. If you want to hugely improve the ride and eliminate the bounce, consider upgrading to the Bilstein HD (B6) shocks. Trust me, the difference is night and day. These are the shocks that the car should have come with from the factory.

As for the door panel, can you post a pic?
Good to know about the shocks... I'm not sure how much I'm going to change on this car because I'm on the fence on how long I'll end up keeping it at this point. I didn't think I would qualify for the 2.9% financing offer this month through MBFS, but I did so it made everything work out for me to trade and upgrade to this car. I'm sort of thinking though that I will probably only have it for two years because I'm really in love with the W205's and would like to wait until a few more years before seriously considering one.

About the door panel and the detail issue, I took a super wet rag with a little bit of dawn and scrubbed really hard and I think I was able to get most of it off. I need to do it once more tomorrow in bright daylight so I can see it better. I did it this evening and tried to dry everything real good and there were a few small areas (mainly near creases where the various panels meet and I probably didn't get to scrub hard enough), but definitely looked a lot better. So I'm going to do all of the front dash and door plastics real good tomorrow. The rear areas seem okay, maybe because they didn't need to really detail back there, I'm not sure. I should have snapped a good picture of it before I even tried to do anything with it just to show the dealer.