C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Negative Camber on W204 by Factory Spec? True?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 02:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
2012 C250
Negative Camber on W204 by Factory Spec? True?

All,

I drive a C250 and have what seems to be the common inner tire wear (front and rear). The rears seem to go exceptionally quick. What I've had someone tell me is that the Sport model specifically has negative camber by factory specification. Is that true?

I also saw someone that someone alluded to the car not being able to have the rear tires aligned... is that true?

Lastly, while I understand a negative camber helps with cornering etc, let's be honest it's a 204 horsepower turbo 4 cyclinder. I'd rather have my tires last the full 50,000 miles than a small advantage in the corner. If the rear tires can be aligned, can the negative camber be removed all around the car in order to have more even tire wear?

Thanks!
Old 11-07-2015, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
I don't not think it is negative camber but less camber than normal resulting in more inner tyre wear.

It can be corrected by adding adjustable camber arms on the rear.

I have not bothered , but get around it with tyre rotation.
Old 11-07-2015, 11:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C350
The amount of camber from an alignment to MB specs should not be excessive and cause tire wear as you mention. What will tear up tires very quickly is the toe not set optimally. If the toe-in is out out of spec you will see excessive inner shoulder tire wear. If a proper alignment has been performed by a reputable shop or MB then there may be other problems (bushings and such).

This is very common in my car Mazdaspeed3 or Mazdaspeed Axela for the non-US folks. Mazda provides some awful spec ranges for their front and rear toe and as such when it's "in the green" there is an excellent chance the car will have A LOT of toe-in and the car will eat tires in >20k miles. I have seen some new Mazda3's and Speed3's that had inner tire wear to the cords at 15k miles. The best fix unless you're a majority owner of a tire company is to get an alignment to your own specs with reduced toe-in.

One more note while we're discussing tire wear, be sure to keep up with regular rotations if you're not staggered and re-balance the tires at least every other rotation.

Last edited by ibcrusn; 11-08-2015 at 12:02 AM.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
2012 C250
Originally Posted by ibcrusn
The amount of camber from an alignment to MB specs should not be excessive and cause tire wear as you mention. What will tear up tires very quickly is the toe not set optimally. If the toe-in is out out of spec you will see excessive inner shoulder tire wear. If a proper alignment has been performed by a reputable shop or MB then there may be other problems (bushings and such).

This is very common in my car Mazdaspeed3 or Mazdaspeed Axela for the non-US folks. Mazda provides some awful spec ranges for their front and rear toe and as such when it's "in the green" there is an excellent chance the car will have A LOT of toe-in and the car will eat tires in >20k miles. I have seen some new Mazda3's and Speed3's that had inner tire wear to the cords at 15k miles. The best fix unless you're a majority owner of a tire company is to get an alignment to your own specs with reduced toe-in.

One more note while we're discussing tire wear, be sure to keep up with regular rotations if you're not staggered and re-balance the tires at least every other rotation.
ibcrusn, I appreciate the feedback but your suggestion for Toe, not being set optimally isn't correct, at least not in my case. The tires are not feathering, they are simply only wearing more quicky on the inner side of my tire which is caused by negative camber.

Also, sadly I do have staggered fitment tires so i cannot rotate them (which further exacerbates the issue. Seems like most tires for these cars are assymetrical or unidirectional too which makes rotation highly unlikely. If I can't find a solution to the negative camber, I think my next option is to by non-directional tires so that I can at least unmount and re-mount the tires on the rim in order to hopefully get somewhat even wear that way.

Surely this forum though knows something about the mercedes specs and whether the camber can be adjusted on these things right??
Old 11-08-2015, 08:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C350
I'd be interested in seeing the current alignment settings. It could very well be a combination of camber, toe and tire pressure that are all slightly out of spec. Regardless, without the data it's just guessing.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Originally Posted by TalonP

Surely this forum though knows something about the mercedes specs and whether the camber can be adjusted on these things right??
Camber can be adjusted on the rear wheels when new adjustment arms are fitted. Also on the front with fluted adjustment bolts.

There is a lot of information that has previously been discussed on this forum. Why not try looking at the search facility at top right of page.https://mbworld.org/forums/search.php?searchid=16048947

Good luck with it.

Last edited by Carsy; 11-09-2015 at 03:47 AM. Reason: Spoon feeding
Old 11-10-2015, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Mercedes Benz C300
Lucky for you i am selling Camber Links that will fix this issue.
it will increase your tire life.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...amber-kit.html