C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Intermittent clicking noise when driving 2010 c300 sport

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 03:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w204
Intermittent clicking noise when driving 2010 c300 sport

Hello,
I've read on here that it may be the heat shield touching the drive shaft and haven't investigated yet but here's what I have done so far because of the intermittent ticking / clicking noise... I also think I can feel the noise (if that makes sense) in the wheel and gas pedal, but it's ever so slight.

December: Started hearing the noise, car has 96k miles (only car wife and I share, has been driven across the us and now I am in Germany).

January: German Mercedes mechanic says my rear tires need to be replaced so I buy new ones and have them balanced and mounted.

February: Get service A done and transmission fluid flushed (last flush was at 50k) and tell Mechanic noise is still there so please re-balance the front tires.

March: Noise is still there and now there is a cyclic rubbing sound when turning the car left. Immediately take car in to mechanic where he diagnoses my front left wheel bearing is shot and needs to be replaced. Also says the front right wheel bearing has more play than it should but I could wait a bit. So I schedule maintenance to have them both replaced (don't have to pay tax here since I am military so in the end, cheaper to do it here than when I get back to the states). Oh, and I park the car for 2 weeks because the mechanic said don't drive it.

Yesterday: Got the car safely to the mechanic and picked it up. No more rubbing sound (yeah!) but the clicking / ticking noise is still there, but I think it's quieter than before.

What should I do? While I understand mechanical systems I am not a car mechanic by any means nor have I ever attempted to work on my benz (less than change out the air filters because no one should pay $150 in labor for that). I am concerned it could be a ball joint / stabilizer, or tie rods and that is what caused my bearings to wear out in the first place.

I really notice the noise on smooth roads, and it isn't always there but when it is it just makes me frustrated. I've never skipped a maintenance and I would like the car to run forever (bought it new), but this noise is driving me up the wall and the language barrier can prove difficult at times.

Appreciate any input.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:42 AM

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
18 E63S
there's a tsb on inner cv axles from Mercedes to remove both sides and re grease them.
had the same issue when turning sharply hearing a clunk.

https://www.automd.com/recall-tsb/se...SPENSION&s=tsb
Old 04-07-2016, 09:26 AM

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2019 911 GTS / 2016 X3 / 2015 E63s / 1993 RX-7
Are you using the proper lug bolts? Cone versus taper?

Using the wrong bolts will cause that EXACT sound.