C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

C300 Aux volume level

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C300 Sport
C300 Aux volume level

Hey all -

I've noticed that the volume level when playing music through my phone using an aux cable is quite low. I am driving a 2009 C300 using a Note 3. Other phones seem to be quite low also but may even be a bit louder than mine. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this? Specifically with the C300s/Aux config. I haven't tried a new aux cable yet but I was wondering if there is anything that can be done or if anyone has seen this before?

My mother has a 2014 C250 that has a "aux volume booster" and it seems to play just fine even without the "boost".

Thanks all.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C300 Sport, 2010 GLK 4matic
I had that problem awhile back, but after the dealer upgraded the firmware on the Command to include the 'boost', its been working fine.

When switching from aux to radio there would be a sudden increase in volume and scare the crap out of me sometimes.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2011 C300
You can search this forum for the instructions on how to get to a hidden menu that has some additional volume controls but honestly it doesn't seem to help much. I feel you pain
Old 04-29-2016, 10:16 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
C300 sport
I had the same issue, so I started using a portable amplifier to boost the audio signal. I've tried a few.

I have the Fiios E11 which is absolutely superb. It has amazing bass, clear sound and lasts many hours before needing a recharge. I probably recharge once every week, just to make sure I don't run out of juice. I am incredibly happy with this device.

I also have the Fiios E6, which is ok, but not that great. The bass isn't as nice and the sound a little more muddy, but I'm no audiophile and my speakers are the stock bose so it could be placebo. I use this as my back up solution.

I also bought a boostaroo amplifier. I bought this one purely because it doesn't run off batteries and will turn on and off with the car. So when I turn the car on, the boostaroo turns on. When I turn the car off, the boostaroo turns off. This makes it so much easier because I no longer have to remember or take the time to turn my amplifier on or off. It makes it as simple as plugging in the 3.5mm aux and being ready to play music.

The boostaroo has a serious issue for me though. I bought the USB version instead of the DC version. I use a DC to USB adapter to power it, and it works well for that. My problem involves static and distortion when driving. I believe that when I am driving at a variety of rpms/speeds, the alternator is fluctuating in power and this is causing variation in power output to the amplifier. Since the amplifier isn't powered by a steady power source such as a battery, these fluctuations cause the sound issues I am hearing. It bothers me greatly to have any kind of sound static or distortion so I am trying to find a solution. Boostaroo thankfully has a 90 money back gurantee, and I have only been a month into it. I'm going to try a power inverter next to see if that makes any difference.

If anyone would have any suggestions, I would appreciate it. I'm a biologist, not an electrical engineer .
Old 04-30-2016, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 118 Likes on 109 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic Sport Sedan
I raised the volume level in the "secret menu" it did a good job but I tried this app recommend by a member on this forum its called EQu - the quality equalizer By elephant candy. I'm not sure if it would work with aux cable but it defiantly works for bluetooth. You can rase the volume using the Eq and put a safe mode on so it won't sound distorted.

I found it helped me adjust the bass quit a bit, having audio 20 the bass was an issue now i get more out of my subwoofer and less out of the speakers.

try it out, it might help.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W204 2008 C300 4matic
Originally Posted by Rodpwnz
I had the same issue, so I started using a portable amplifier to boost the audio signal. I've tried a few.

I have the Fiios E11 which is absolutely superb. It has amazing bass, clear sound and lasts many hours before needing a recharge. I probably recharge once every week, just to make sure I don't run out of juice. I am incredibly happy with this device.

I also have the Fiios E6, which is ok, but not that great. The bass isn't as nice and the sound a little more muddy, but I'm no audiophile and my speakers are the stock bose so it could be placebo. I use this as my back up solution.

I also bought a boostaroo amplifier. I bought this one purely because it doesn't run off batteries and will turn on and off with the car. So when I turn the car on, the boostaroo turns on. When I turn the car off, the boostaroo turns off. This makes it so much easier because I no longer have to remember or take the time to turn my amplifier on or off. It makes it as simple as plugging in the 3.5mm aux and being ready to play music.

The boostaroo has a serious issue for me though. I bought the USB version instead of the DC version. I use a DC to USB adapter to power it, and it works well for that. My problem involves static and distortion when driving. I believe that when I am driving at a variety of rpms/speeds, the alternator is fluctuating in power and this is causing variation in power output to the amplifier. Since the amplifier isn't powered by a steady power source such as a battery, these fluctuations cause the sound issues I am hearing. It bothers me greatly to have any kind of sound static or distortion so I am trying to find a solution. Boostaroo thankfully has a 90 money back gurantee, and I have only been a month into it. I'm going to try a power inverter next to see if that makes any difference.

If anyone would have any suggestions, I would appreciate it. I'm a biologist, not an electrical engineer .

Hi, just a quick question does your Fiios E11 charging while amplifying, I'm thinking about adding it to my glove box and I have usb charger over there too, will it play some music while charging, or is it one or another only?
Old 05-04-2016, 07:40 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
C300 sport
Originally Posted by angrybober
Hi, just a quick question does your Fiios E11 charging while amplifying, I'm thinking about adding it to my glove box and I have usb charger over there too, will it play some music while charging, or is it one or another only?
Unfortunately, the E11 is not able to amplify and charge at the same time. The E6 is able to though. Both E6 and E11 will require you to turn on and off everytime you want to listen to music or stop listening. The E6, does not turn on when car power is on so you will be required to manually switch it on everytime.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
Solutions for low Aux levels

There is an Aux Boost setting in the Audio20 menus, standard on units that were installed for MY2010 (produced from mid-2009). Since the Audio20 Aux analog input is first converted to digital, a software update flash is available from MB dealers that can add the Aux Boost function to most, but not all, older Audio20 headunits. This changes the DAC output level by more than 6dB when converting the Aux input signal, and is sufficient for iPods and other devices.

Another solution is to purchase the excellent in-line PHP Sound Shocker, which correctly matches the input impedance and will boost the volume 12dB, requires no batteries, and is distortion free. Here is the link:
http://phpaudio.jigsy.com/products
The following 2 users liked this post by Acapulco Bill:
centfl-c300spt (05-28-2016), hailtothenorth (08-24-2016)
Old 05-28-2016, 03:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 C-300
I've been to 2 different MB dealerships and they both don't know what I'm talking about when I ask about the Audio20 upgrade to add the 'boost' to aux.
I think I'll just order the Sound Shocker. Looks good and I've used something similar in my Audi A4 and it worked great.
Thanks Acapulco Bill!!
Old 05-28-2016, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
The Sound Shocker, an impedance matcher, in theory will provide better undistorted sound that the Aux Boost update. The reason is that the designers of the Mercedes headunits foolishly (read stupidly!) used a 20,000 ohm Aux input standard, while the output of the iPod and MP3 devices - even your phone - is engineered to feed earbuds or headphones, typically 4 to 16 ohms. The result is a far lower voltage available from the music device to the headunit (akin to pouring a lot of water through a small funnel, the water (voltage) has nowhere to dissipate and can cause distortion). The Sound Shocker matches a 4 ohm device output to the 20k ohm headunit input, this results in a higher available voltage. Because Science.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2011 C300
Originally Posted by Acapulco Bill
The Sound Shocker, an impedance matcher, in theory will provide better undistorted sound that the Aux Boost update. The reason is that the designers of the Mercedes headunits foolishly (read stupidly!) used a 20,000 ohm Aux input standard, while the output of the iPod and MP3 devices - even your phone - is engineered to feed earbuds or headphones, typically 4 to 16 ohms. The result is a far lower voltage available from the music device to the headunit (akin to pouring a lot of water through a small funnel, the water (voltage) has nowhere to dissipate and can cause distortion). The Sound Shocker matches a 4 ohm device output to the 20k ohm headunit input, this results in a higher available voltage. Because Science.
Nice explanation. 2 Internet beers for you
Old 08-05-2016, 08:16 AM

B180
Aux issues with inbuilt Bluetooth phone

Hej Bill, I have a different issue and your amazing replies to other people's questions keep coming up in my searches.
If you were able to think about my issue, it would be greatly appreciated.
I own a 2010 Mercedes B180 with Audio 20 sound system and built in Bluetooth telephone. The car also has an AUX port.
I want to stream music through the aux.
when I connect a Bluetooth receiver to the aux the music streaming works perfectly. However, when I make or receive a phone call the other person can hear me fine but intermittently their voice cuts out.
If I remove the cable from the aux socket, everything works fine.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Steve.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
Hello Steve

I was gifted recently a Bovee Viseeo Bluetooth adaptor that plugs into the iPod Integration Kit cable (which uses the Aux for audio feed). At the beginning I thought it worked fine. However, now I have my doubts too. My main complaints are:
1.- The Nav from my phone sounds too low in relation to the music streamed from Spotify, which used to have it's separate volume bar, but the latest updated Spotify does not.
2.- When I try and pause Spotify, the Bovee enthusiastically causes Spotify to play again.
3.- I think the Spotify reconnect malady forces me to push the steering wheel phone Receive button for about five seconds in order to accept a call.

Probably the same sort of issue is cutting out your phone communication, as your Bluetooth adaptor may be constantly trying to reconnect to your music app. I am unsure which Bluetooth device - the receiver in the Audio20 or the Bovee, is actually transmitting via Bluetooth during a phone call. This may be the source of the conflict.

It would be handy to post the specifics of your phone and Bluetooth adaptor manufacturer and model. I am anxious to solve this problem as although I receive few phone calls, the low relative volume of the Nav is a safety issue, and I am tempted to Unstall Spotify and load my smartphone with tunes and use a streaming app that has a volume control, and will successfully pause and not try and reconnect as this app would have to be be Bluetooth "illiterate", although this implies manual, rather than automatic, connection to Bluetooth.

Perhaps a separate Bluetooth Adaptor issues thread should be started?
The following users liked this post:
Josh.A.Hussey (08-06-2016)
Old 08-06-2016, 11:40 PM

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
2017 C43 AMG, 2010 C350 4Matic, 9 Motorcycles
Hello Steve

I was gifted recently a Bovee Viseeo Bluetooth adaptor that plugs into the iPod Integration Kit cable (which uses the Aux for audio feed). At the beginning I thought it worked fine. However, now I have my doubts too. My main complaints are:
1.- The Nav from my phone sounds too low in relation to the music streamed from Spotify, which used to have it's separate volume bar, but the latest updated Spotify does not.
2.- When I try and pause Spotify, the Bovee enthusiastically causes Spotify to play again.
3.- I think the Spotify reconnect malady forces me to push the steering wheel phone Receive button for about five seconds in order to accept a call.

Probably the same sort of issue is cutting out your phone communication, as your Bluetooth adaptor may be constantly trying to reconnect to your music app. I am unsure which Bluetooth device - the receiver in the Audio20 or the Bovee, is actually transmitting via Bluetooth during a phone call. This may be the source of the conflict.

It would be handy to post the specifics of your phone and Bluetooth adaptor manufacturer and model. I am anxious to solve this problem as although I receive few phone calls, the low relative volume of the Nav is a safety issue, and I am tempted to Unstall Spotify and load my smartphone with tunes and use a streaming app that has a volume control, and will successfully pause and not try and reconnect as this app would have to be be Bluetooth "illiterate", although this implies manual, rather than automatic, connection to Bluetooth.

Bill, you always have great information and input on audio matters! You never fail to chime in about music! Maybe the Maestro in your avatar has significance! Hahaha!

Back to the matter at hand, I second the bluetooth adapter issue thread! I am soon going to be purchasing one!

Old 08-09-2016, 05:42 AM

B180
More info

Hello Steve

Hello Steve

Thanks for the great reply, again.

I have tried 2 different Bluetooth devices. one does not have a microphone and can be used with or without the charging cable connected. I thought the issue was the microphone clashing with the inbuilt system. But it has the same issue as the first one I bought. This one also has issues with automatic reconnection.

Avantree LOW LATENCY Certified Bluetooth Receiver and Transmitter for tv | 2-in-1 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LAZ6RTW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_54zQxbTJ4W0SA

The other one has a built in microphone but I don't think that that is the issue. It connects perfectly after a call and when I get in the car I just press play either on my phone or on the little built in button.

It is perfect in every way except for the issue with the other persons voice cutting out on calls. I bought it in a local shop here in Sweden but it seems to be similar to this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GJN6S0W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_kaAQxb1E4N9RR

Now I am wondering if I can install a switch for the aux port. But if I have an extension cable plugged in but the switch is off, will it still cause the same problem because there is a jack plugged in even if it has no load?
Old 08-11-2016, 08:29 AM

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
2017 C43 AMG, 2010 C350 4Matic, 9 Motorcycles
Originally Posted by Steve Jö Cooke
Now I am wondering if I can install a switch for the aux port. But if I have an extension cable plugged in but the switch is off, will it still cause the same problem because there is a jack plugged in even if it has no load?

Not sure if anyone else can comment on this but I believe it works off of conductivity, so it will still pick up the aux cord... Those are my findings with other AUX jacks, but I'm not 100% sure about the one in our cars.