C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Ughhh... Rear diffuser fail. Need advice!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C300
Ughhh... Rear diffuser fail. Need advice!

Just installed my rear diffuser on a 2011 C300. That DIY tutorial was great but 30 minutes my butt. Everything was going faster than 30 minutes before putting on the carbon fiber diffuser. I'd get half way then it would be hard pushing the tab since the bumper flexed. And there was no way to put an arm back there to reinforce due to the diffuser curving back. Anyways, I got everything on but snapped a corner tab. NOW I got a gap. I actually broke one off and the other tab snaps on but come right back out. Any suggestions besides taking off the entire diffuser and putting the tab back on some how. Can I just bondo the corner to the bumper or any other suggestion? It took me 50 minute but with a BIG fail. Pretty bummed since this was my first time fitting a carbon fiber piece besides a VIS hood on a del sol which was plug and play. HELP with links or suggestions. My worst scenario is to take it to a body shop due to cash. Any advice would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Ughhh... Rear diffuser fail. Need advice!-car-1.jpg  
Old 05-07-2016, 08:59 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
C300 sport
Look into plastic or general use epoxy at a local hardware store, or any general store. Keep the broken tab piece and to the best of your abilities use the epoxy to repair the tab. If you need any help at all with the epoxy, research online before using it or ask us on here. Epoxy is like a super strength glue, it comes with a hardener that must be mixed in. Depending on what type of epoxy and how much hardener used, the working time before it hardens should be around 5 - 10 minutes. Be sure to apply as much as possible without altering the original function of the tab. I have a rotary tool that I use to carve and trim down any excess epoxy I use and to restore small pieces to their original shape. If you have a tool to trim precisely, then you could just lather epoxy on to make the tab strong and then trim it down to match the original tabs. I'm just telling you what I would do if I were in your situation. If you don't have the tab, or cannot fabricate one by shaping pieces of plastic using fire, then consider the body shop or 3M tape.

My brother's open sun roof has springs that push the wind visor up and tabs that hold it against the roof so that it stays in place. One of the tabs on the side broke in half so the wind would pull up on edge and it would flail in the air since the tab was not long enough to hold it down. I used thin pliers to hold a tire nozzle cap, heated it with a lighter and slightly flattened it with a hammer into an oval shape. I shoved epoxy into the oval, slipped it over the broken cap and applied more epoxy over the seams to secure it. I let it dry and harden but it was very thick and unsightly. I used a rotary tool to trim the epoxy and plastic down to an almost exact replica of the other unbroken tabs. This was 2 years ago and it is as solid, if not more so, than the original tabs.

I consider myself somewhat of a handyman, but no where near the likes of many I've seen on these forums or elsewhere. I feel like with proper instruction and a little bit of natural talent, you could easily find a way to fix this without breaking the bank.
The following users liked this post:
islandcreations (05-08-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 10:27 PM

2008 C300
You need to remove the entire rear bumper off to get it on 100%.

This is how it will look(before my mods were done)
Old 05-08-2016, 01:00 PM

2011 C300
Originally Posted by AntSimmons
You need to remove the entire rear bumper off to get it on 100%.

This is how it will look(before my mods were done)

Mine looks like that but for the corner. Everything is flush with the bumper its just since there is no tab there it gaps. Otherwise it looks like your pic besides that corner LOL