C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Replacing panoramic roof glass . . .

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2016 | 05:09 PM

2015 C400 Sedan
Replacing panoramic roof glass . . .

Hey everyone,
So a rock went through the roof glass right above the windshield recently, and I'm considering alternatives to OEM glass replacement.
Here's a picture of the damage:
http://imgur.com/gj8vGAW

The part alone is $1000+ CAD plus labor, which is silly since an entire windshield is less than half that cost, including fitment.
What about getting an auto place to replace that glass with a black polycarbonate like lexan or plexiglass? What types of places should I contact for a job like that?
(A side note, I'm trying to go through my insurance, as this is clearly a comprehensive claim, they are being difficult and are screwing me around, but that's another story.)
Thanks for any insight!
Old 06-13-2016 | 05:45 PM

2012 C300 4Matic
Sorry to hear that. How did a rock hit that far back?

As for alternatives to the glass I would think if some one would fit an alternative material to the glass it could end up to be even more expensive than the glass as essentially you will have a custom one-off piece. Then you would have to factor in how rigid it would be compared to glass in the same thickness, then any thermal stability differences and who would warranty mounting it and sealing it? I understand why you are thinking that way, but for what it's worth, I would think this is one situation where you don't want to go for something that is not OEM. One of those cases where if it ends up you are responsible to get it fixed, but the new glass. I wish you well.
Old 06-13-2016 | 07:57 PM

325Ci, 325Cic, C300
For what it's worth, I relented and got "replacement" windshield glass when I was getting glass #4 (long story).

Regardless of what Safelite says fit was horrible. The shape was off by ever so much that the lower plastic trim piece couldn't lock into place because the curvature of the glass' lower edge wasn't the same.

If it ever breaks again I'm going original like I did for glass #2 and #3. There's nothing like the fit of an OE part.