C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Battery Not Holding Charge

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 11:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C250
Battery Not Holding Charge

So suddenly my battery went dead. Initially I thought it was the EIS but since it was giving me 1 clicking sound when I start the car, I figured it was the battery. Jump started the car this morning, drove 40 miles and parked it for 8 hours. At the end of my work day, battery dead again. What's surprising is I only have 52K. Some threads here mentioned the batteries go up to 8 years. Mine is only 4 years!!! Called MB USA and they said the batteries are covered for only 2 years. Costco batteries are covered for 5 years (prorated of course).

Local MB dealer is asking $ 190 . It's actually just $ 20 more than Autozone. My question is what's the proper way to replace the battery without messing up the window controls, sunroof, etc.? Is there a special way besides remove the negative first?
Old 08-09-2016, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 155 Posts
99 E320
You may not have been in a position to measure the voltage when the battery was below
levels. That is important as it give you an idea how bad it is. The car's alternator is not
designed to recharge a severely depleted battery. It is possible that your fix may be much
more than driving around which simply provides a superficial charge to the battery. Do
you have a neighbor (or auto parts store) who can give you a hand with a quick check first?
I'd hate to hear of you chasing symptoms and throwing money around when all that may
be needed is to partner your battery up with a dedicated trickle charger.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C250
It was at 11.2 volts before I jumped it. Not sure about MBs but my Tahoe charges at 14 volts while driving so it can charge a dead battery. This is when I actually need a voltage gauge in the dash!! I'll definitely go to autozone before I go to the dealer.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:37 AM

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts
325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Originally Posted by mrtomq
So suddenly my battery went dead. Initially I thought it was the EIS but since it was giving me 1 clicking sound when I start the car, I figured it was the battery. Jump started the car this morning, drove 40 miles and parked it for 8 hours. At the end of my work day, battery dead again. What's surprising is I only have 52K. Some threads here mentioned the batteries go up to 8 years. Mine is only 4 years!!! Called MB USA and they said the batteries are covered for only 2 years. Costco batteries are covered for 5 years (prorated of course).

Local MB dealer is asking $ 190 . It's actually just $ 20 more than Autozone. My question is what's the proper way to replace the battery without messing up the window controls, sunroof, etc.? Is there a special way besides remove the negative first?
Replace like a regular battery, and not a bad price. Yes, negative off first on negative-ground vehicles.