C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Rust dots on hood

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2016 | 08:01 PM

Mercedes C 350
Rust dots on hood

Hey guys ,

I got some rust dots on the hood of my C350 that I recently acquired ..

Any idea what to do to get rid of them ?

A bod shop told me to get a ''marker'' from my local MB dealer and he will be able to touch it up..

The thing that scares me is for those dots not to grow bigger !

Thanks in advance for any advice
Old 08-14-2016 | 08:06 PM

Mercedes C 350
Also if anyone can recommend me a site where I can order a clip for the roof where the bicycle rack is fitted
Old 08-15-2016 | 05:01 AM

2009 White C350 CDi, Diesel, AMG Sport Pack, Avantgarde RWD & 2007 VW 1.9 TDi
Originally Posted by Lifeontwo
Hey guys ,

A bod shop told me to get a ''marker'' from my local MB dealer and he will be able to touch it up..

Hello Sir

As far as I know, the rust spots come from driving in traffic with iron particles in the air that lodge on your paint clear coat surface and oxidize over time because I am sure MB galvanize their bodies before they are sprayed so it should not come from chipped paint onto bare metal because I know VW do this to their cars, even some of the smaller Polos.

I had some of these rust spots on my car and can testify that the above is true and especially more evident on a white painted car. You cannot "wash" them off with normal washing techniques. NEVER EVER use any force by rubbing to try and remove this from your painted surface, you will surely scratch or damage your clear coat surface permanently.

The best solution I believe that will work to remove this "contaminants" from your clear coat will be a "detailing clay bar'. Go and do a google search and youtube search how clay bars are used and the proper technique. Remember always when you work on any painted surface to never use any force, use the least aggressive options always first. NEVER use a clay bar on dirty car as you will scratch the clear coat with the dirt on the car and please read up on the proper technique of using a clay bar as you can induce scratches when it picks up contaminants if not used properly. Wash your car properly with the correct technique for example two bucket technique to get rid of all surface dirt before using the clay bar and lubricant.

When you have removed the rust spots, you must take preventative maintenance to your clear coat surface so it does not happen again. The best way I found that really works are a good quality wax. The best bang for buck wax that I use on my car is Collinite #845 (Wax Sealant).

I hope this info helps

Last edited by Morné Pieters; 08-16-2016 at 02:16 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Morné Pieters:
Lifeontwo (08-15-2016), Richard2011 (08-15-2016)
Old 08-15-2016 | 05:07 AM

2013 P31 C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by Morné Pieters
As far as I know, the rust spots come from driving in traffic with iron particles in the air that lodge on your paint clear coat surface and oxidize over time because I am sure MB galvanize their bodies before they are sprayed so it should not come from chipped paint onto bare metal because I know VW do this to their cars, even some of the smaller Polos.
learned something new today
Old 08-15-2016 | 06:05 AM

2017 GLE350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Lifeontwo
Hey guys ,

Most likely iron particles from brakes/rotors, stands out on white vehicles, especially rear clip. Although clay bar conceals 99% of the rust stain the iron particle at cause still remains.
I have found a product called IronX in which you spray down your paint and let sit for 5 minutes or so, all embedded iron particles turn purple and then disintegrate off car. I also use it as a follow up on wheels a few times a year after an initial scrubbing. You will be amazed at how well this product works, just follow directions carefully - avoid spraying brake calipers.
Old 08-15-2016 | 06:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Iron particles can also come from the car being too close to an angle grinder or metal cutting disc .

It can happen when neighbours are reroofing their house.

That IronX looks interesting . I would like to know about the chemical reaction.
Old 08-15-2016 | 06:53 AM

2009 White C350 CDi, Diesel, AMG Sport Pack, Avantgarde RWD & 2007 VW 1.9 TDi
IronX works really great if you can get it. If you are based in the US, it is more easily available but where I live, you need someone to import it and it becomes rather expensive...

If you can get it, use it for sure!

Last edited by Morné Pieters; 08-16-2016 at 02:17 AM.
Old 08-15-2016 | 09:01 AM

Mercedes C 350
Thanks a lot guys for the info ..

I'd be too scared to do it myself so Ill have a pro do it and Ill mention Ironx