C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Fixes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C300
Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Fixes

I've done a bit of searching but can't seem to find consistent info, so hopefully a new post will help. Got a 2008 C300 with about 97k miles on it, and recently started getting some weird Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) alerts. At first I would just get the "Check Tire Pressure" alert every so often... with maybe one out of every 7 or 8 of those alerts being Red. Tires have under 20k miles on them and aren't letting air out or anything.

Then started getting the "Tire Press. Monitor Inoperative" alert which I hadn't seen before. It's not very consistent; I get the "Inoperative" alert maybe one out of ten times I drive. I do get a white "Check Tire Pressure" alert just about every time after I turn off the engine though.

To me it's either a faulty TPMS fuse, the TPMS sensors are broken (or 'dead' if that's possible), or the sensors are just not properly fitted/installed.

I'm not much of a gearhead, but I'm pretty handy when it comes to electrical stuff - replaced the LED monitor myself when a backlight shorted (new screen cost 80 bucks and maybe 2 hours to replace vs 900+ from a shop). That said, what kind of DIY stuff can I test out to better diagnose the TPMS issue?

Assuming I can't figure it out myself, I have a lifetime alignment/rotation service with a local shop as well, so I guess I can always get that done for free and specifically tell them to make sure the TPMS sensors are properly installed on the wheels. That could very well solve the issue as well.

Any color appreciated.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:24 AM

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts
2014 CLS63 S AMG
Sensors run on battery that dies over 4-8 years. My 2012 sensors already died after 4 years.