C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

"auto lights deactivated"

Old 10-29-2016, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C200 elegance kompressor
"auto lights deactivated"

hi guys,

newbie here so I hope I'm in the right forum

I'm a first time Mercedes owner of a mint condition 2009 C200k elegance. with 79000km on the clock - full service history. it's so new it's still got the plastic film on the door sill strips!

recently it blew a left low beam light. so I went to MBSA and bought 2 new replacement bulbs.

remove both of the old bulbs and installed the 2 new ones. now occasionally I get a message on the dashboard saying that " auto lights inoperable" when I clear the message it returns.

I switch off engine & ignition - turn on ignition and restart engine - I then check physically that ALL lights are working, which they are - now the message is gone?

this has only started since I replace both low beam bulbs with MB replacement parts?

any ideas what's causing this?

did I miss a step with regards to the replacement bulbs?

is this perhaps a problem inherent to this model?

regards
Dave
Old 10-30-2016, 05:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Did you get the exact same bulb that came with the car or an "upgraded" bulb? If the new bulbs are pulling less power it may be tricking the system into thinking the bulbs are not working. Usually shows up as a bulb out message but if it thinks both are out it may give you the inoperable message...just a guess though...
The following users liked this post:
spiff (10-30-2016)
Old 10-30-2016, 10:25 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 C300
Not sure - but - there is a setting in the menu (from steering wheel controls) to turn auto lights on or off I believe (if you are talking about the lights coming on after you exit
the car) - try turning it off - driving a few days - and then turning on again.

If if you are talking about the auto on setting from the switch on the dash itself - then might be an issue with the switch - but I would also check the wiring connections where you removed them at the headlights - did you seat the new bulbs well and not touch the glass of the bulb ? Also remove and reseat the electrical connections again - a bit of contact cleaner would not hurt
The following users liked this post:
spiff (10-30-2016)
Old 10-30-2016, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by C300Sport
Did you get the exact same bulb that came with the car or an "upgraded" bulb? If the new bulbs are pulling less power it may be tricking the system into thinking the bulbs are not working. Usually shows up as a bulb out message but if it thinks both are out it may give you the inoperable message...just a guess though...
can't answer you on the "upgrade" part, the parts center did not say anything about "upgrade". I just bought original MB parts in MB labeled boxes from the MB center in Cape Town where the car was regularly serviced by the original owner. the part center took the vin number and from that gave me the replacement bulbs. the codes all match the original bulbs.

ironically I decide to replace BOTH bulbs to avoid just this problem
Old 10-30-2016, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by c300white
Not sure - but - there is a setting in the menu (from steering wheel controls) to turn auto lights on or off I believe (if you are talking about the lights coming on after you exit
the car) - try turning it off - driving a few days - and then turning on again.

If if you are talking about the auto on setting from the switch on the dash itself - then might be an issue with the switch - but I would also check the wiring connections where you removed them at the headlights - did you seat the new bulbs well and not touch the glass of the bulb ? Also remove and reseat the electrical connections again - a bit of contact cleaner would not hurt
the day running lights is set to auto via the settings menu.
the main lights is also set to auto via the dashboard light switch.

I did clean the bulbs and used a cloth to install them. I'll will try unplug and re plug them and see if that helps.

I'll will also try driving with the day light running lights off for awhile and then switch them back on and see

thanks.