C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

COMAND software update?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Mercedes-Benz C300 Sport, Auto, P02, 320, 067, 104, 218, 413, 786, 889
COMAND software update?

For MY 2010. Have there been any software/firware updates to the COMAND with multimedia package(flip-up screen)? I ask because the navigation doesnt have **** for POI/businesses and my newer iPod doesnt quite work right with it.

2010 W204
TGW-CPU
Apl. S/W Ver. : 06.12.02
Boot S/W Ver. : 00.01.14

Audio-CPU
Apl. S/W Ver. : 04.12.02
Boot S/W Ver. : 04.06.04

Database Information
Ver. : NS0801-01

GPS Information
SW Ver. : GPS-NR-204-0.23

Bluetooth Version
S/W stack Ver. : BTD-NR204-23.89
Old 11-10-2016, 11:31 AM

Bump
Old 11-12-2016, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
Yeah. Updated GPS discs are available from MB. I think there have been 2 updates since 2010. I think the discs cost like $250.
Old 11-12-2016, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by chrisridebike8
Yeah. Updated GPS discs are available from MB. I think there have been 2 updates since 2010. I think the discs cost like $250.
Im not worried about GPS map updates. Im sure there are several of those. Im more concerned with firmware updates for the system itself. The GPS POI function is total **** and the iPod compatibility is lacking with the newer models.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:40 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes C220 AMG Style
In my w204 NTG4 command, i have updated maps. And i still updated the firmware once to the newer one (i can be done just at the dealer!). Before update maps to V12, it was required to update first the firmware. Dont doing that would cause the system to loop at start.

Ask them to update the firmware! Not the maps! It cost me 45 €.

And POIs in my command till today proved that there were very good!
Old 11-13-2016, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by psaldanha
Ask them to update the firmware! Not the maps! It cost me 45 €.

And POIs in my command till today proved that there were very good!
My local MB dealer will likely charge more than that. On top of it they suck. Ive had my car there several times under warranty and they always refused to update the firmware or even check that it needed to be updated. Tried to charge extra for it when getting other services done that already required STAR diagnostics.

POIs on this unit are the worst Ive ever dealt with. A $50 Garmin/Magellan unit is better. It has just no local businesses at all in it. It also has very few chains as well. It basically has fast food restaurants, banks and gas stations. Dont eat fast food, bank online and I already know where all the gas stations are in my area and if you dont just get on any highway or interstate and youll find one in on either side in < mile. Totally useless POI.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:47 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Mercedes C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by nola000
My local MB dealer will likely charge more than that. On top of it they suck.

POIs on this unit are the worst Ive ever dealt with. A $50 Garmin/Magellan unit is better. .

Regret your local MB dealer earns the 'suck' award.

Sure agree about Garmin. Downloaded latest updates just prior to a 1100 San Diego round trip. Sure missed the "Text to Speech" feature.

Called Garmin upon return. Found out there are two 'American English' options.

Great telephone support. i took the optional survey after and left word to 'give the lady a raise'...................

Garmin

ez

Last edited by ezshift5; 11-13-2016 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:52 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 C300
My dealer told me they are hestitant to do software/firmware updates on most components of the car for the following reasons:

1. Some updates change the driving characteristics of the car, particularly the Transmission Control Module, and the Throttle Control. Many customers complain that the car doesn't drive the same after updating and thus they tend not to want to do them unless there is a problem being reported they can't fix.

2. Updates, especially to COMAND/NTG4 often fail. Sometimes leaving that particular function of the car useless. Resolving the failed updates is a time consuming process and sometimes results in them having to replace whatever hardware contains the flash that was being updated.

3. I'm not sure how much I believe this one because I don't know, but they also said that Mercedes rarely includes much information about what has changed in the updates, so the dealer has no idea what functionality/behavior could be different after the update in most cases.

That said, they also know I'm a tech guy and very much into my car. My Service Advisor will check if certain updates are available if I ask him. I have to schedule a service to have the Audio 20 unit updated. I had a weird glitch with one speaker one day that disappeared and hasn't recurred, but he said there was an update and they would apply it, but they need the car the whole day in case they brick it and have to fix a failed update.

Last edited by jlr82; 11-13-2016 at 10:56 PM.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by jlr82
My dealer told me they are hestitant to do software/firmware updates on most components of the car for the following reasons:

1. Some updates change the driving characteristics of the car, particularly the Transmission Control Module, and the Throttle Control. Many customers complain that the car doesn't drive the same after updating and thus they tend not to want to do them unless there is a problem being reported they can't fix.

2. Updates, especially to COMAND/NTG4 often fail. Sometimes leaving that particular function of the car useless. Resolving the failed updates is a time consuming process and sometimes results in them having to replace whatever hardware contains the flash that was being updated.

3. I'm not sure how much I believe this one because I don't know, but they also said that Mercedes rarely includes much information about what has changed in the updates, so the dealer has no idea what functionality/behavior could be different after the update in most cases.

That said, they also know I'm a tech guy and very much into my car. My Service Advisor will check if certain updates are available if I ask him. I have to schedule a service to have the Audio 20 unit updated. I had a weird glitch with one speaker one day that disappeared and hasn't recurred, but he said there was an update and they would apply it, but they need the car the whole day in case they brick it and have to fix a failed update.
Daayum. Oh, well. MB is supposed to be the best and they do kick *** at mechanical engineering but their electronic wizardry is more like snake oil. "Look at this nice big screen with GPS!" *mumbles under breath*, "Marketing department made us put that creature comfort **** in the car. We dont give two ****s about it".

What is really pissing me off is that auto manufacturers are going more and more to these proprietary, fully entrenched audio systems which means if they dont get it right or if tech changes and they dont update their firmware/software youre driving around with the modern day equivalent of an 8 track player. In the old days of DINS and Double DINS you could drive and '86 Camaro and still have the latest and greatest in audio/GPS/bluetooth/etc. This **** needs to change.

I used to buy a car and after the maintenance was caught up Id immediately dump the OEM stereo right into the garbage and install a highend head unit and have the best of everything. When that got outdated, pop a new one in. Cant do that anymore and it means people are going to be driving around in otherwise great cars with really ****ty stereos in them. Its going to hurt the resale value of autos.

Last edited by nola000; 11-14-2016 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:27 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Mercedes cls 250 W218

My local mechanic has star/sentry. I had my ECU and TCU (transmission) updated on my 2013 CLS. Merc didnt want to do the TCU for me either. Does change how the car drives but for the better. Mpg slightly better but auto gearing is better, there is a junction on a hill where the car would often be in 3rd or 4th even though I was almost stopped and when I tried to accelerate nothing happened for a second until it shifted down (which was dangerous), now it doesn't happen anymore. Deffo recommend getting it done if you have the means. Already had my maps updated in 2018, not sure what is left that would be worth updating might look at getting command done
Old 07-15-2019, 06:00 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes C220 AMG Style

Up

1. Just do it. Car will perform a little better.

2. Updating telematics is different than updating maps. What to do? Update the maps. If after update, going to navigation, just gets the message "activating navigation", then you need to update telematics/firmware. This often applys updating from V12 to V13.

3. Its how dealers work. lol. Low on information, high on €€€.
The following users liked this post:
shih1919 (11-12-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 10:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
C350
I've heard that updating command systems takes a lot of bay time. Thats probably why they don't want to do it. Not that anyone has to actively working on it, just the bay could be producing more income. I got mine undated when it was still under warranty by identifying a bug in the command (not retaining HD vs normal radio station preference) and going in with that complaint to get them to address it. Of course out of warranty you'd think they'd want to do it if you'll pay.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w204 c300
My local mechanic has xentry and SD C4. When he was in the of process of programming of control unit, he was required to insert CD 1668271300-0001 but he only has CD 2048271000-0001, are these two CD compatible ?

Audio20 without map20. SA code 523 only
The hardware: 2048700389
The software: 0004429260
Control unit variant: Entry_USA
Software version: 07/26 00
CBF: HU_204,V2.0 .7