C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

2009 C300 questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 05:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C300 4Matic Luxury
2009 C300 questions

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forums, but I recently purchased a 2009 C300 4-Matic with 29,000 miles from a pre-owned dealership (non-MB). I've had the car about 10 days now and it runs and drives great; however, I am hearing a "ticking" or a slight "clicking" noise coming from just behind the dash board where the various gauges are located (fuel, odometer, etc.). The noise typically starts when I turn on the car and lasts for a few minutes and then ceases. Any idea what it could be? I have an appointment on Monday with my dealership to check this out. I am hoping they cover the cost of what could be going on (since the purchase is still pretty recent). Also, my gas gauge needle doesn't immediately go up upon starting up the car. When I purchased the vehicle it worked fine, but yesterday we had a very cold day here (Rhode Island), so I figured maybe it was just the outside temp., but it did it again today. After I "knocked" on the dash area, the needle immediately went up. Thoughts?

Second, I am looking to purchase an OBD-II scanner for the car. Any recommendations? I honestly don't want to spend more than $100, if possible.

Finally, I have a question about extended warranties. My dealer got me to purchase one, but I do have 20 days from the date of vehicle purchase to cancel the warranty for a full refund. My current warranty provider is CarsProtectionPlus and I purchased the ValuePlus package. After doing some research, it appears this company has many negative reviews in contrast to postive reviews on the BBB. Has anyone ever dealt with this extended warranty provider before? If I do decide to cancel this service, are there any "better" warranty providers out there and which package would you recommend? I apologize if this is posted in wrong sub-forum. Thanks.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:06 AM

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
2008 C-230 4Matic Sport
I can't really help with most of your questions but this is the OBDII scanner I am seriously considering buying. Seems reasonably priced and can read all the Mercedes codes ect.

https://www.amazon.com/iCarsoft-Merc...+obdII+scanner

I am in the same boat as you. Looking for a scanner and don't know which one to get. Would be nice if I could use it on my wife's Mini but that is not a deal breaker.

Have fun with your new car!

On a side note, when I bought my 2008 C230 this past August, I passed on the extra warranty since it was not offered by the dealer but a 3rd party. I envisioned a serious pain in the *** dealing with them. They are probably like most insurance companies. You pay and get nothing but a headache when trying to recoup your costs.

Last edited by Colin G; 01-07-2017 at 09:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RAndreozzi1984 (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 03:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C300 4Matic Luxury
Originally Posted by Colin G
I can't really help with most of your questions but this is the OBDII scanner I am seriously considering buying. Seems reasonably priced and can read all the Mercedes codes ect.

https://www.amazon.com/iCarsoft-Merc...+obdII+scanner

I am in the same boat as you. Looking for a scanner and don't know which one to get. Would be nice if I could use it on my wife's Mini but that is not a deal breaker.

Have fun with your new car!

On a side note, when I bought my 2008 C230 this past August, I passed on the extra warranty since it was not offered by the dealer but a 3rd party. I envisioned a serious pain in the *** dealing with them. They are probably like most insurance companies. You pay and get nothing but a headache when trying to recoup your costs.
Thanks for the reply, Colin. I am going to cancel that extended warranty next week via Cars Protection Plus; however, I did purchase a new warranty via United Auto Care (Penske) at my local MB dealership; however, before purchasing, I spoke to a friend of mine who is an MB mechanic and he said (in his opinion) it was worthwhile to have. I also spoke to a friend of mine who works at an Infiniti dealership in the service department and he said basically the same thing. His wife drives a 2012 Nissan and he said the extended warranty has paid ten-fold for him with the coverage. The fact of the matter is there are different levels of coverage, different providers, etc. I went with a gold package (2nd highest level). I understand that not everything will be covered, and it's definitely a risk, but being able to speak to 2 different people with nothing to gain from me buying this EW certainly helped to give me peace of mind. If the car never has any truly major issues then I'm out the money I spent, it's a risk. I guess in some sense buying this policy, I am almost banking on something happening to the car. At any rate, as I said above, I am going to get rid of that CarsProtectionPlus package on Monday or Tuesday. There's a 20 day window to cancel, and I'm still well within it.

Thanks again, and I'll give that scanner a look.