C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Strange sound on highway

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'14 C300 Sport 4matic
Strange sound on highway

Hello everyone... I just got my first MB. 2014 CPO C300 sport 4matic. One previous (lease) owner, about 15k miles, looked to be in very good condition.

About a day or two after I took delivery, I noticed an intermittent hum on the highway at 60+ MPH. I haven't been able to recreate it consistently. It sounds like what happens when you blow across the top of a coke bottle. It fades in and out, lasting about 2 seconds in duration with a second of idle time between occurences. It only happens for short periods of time, and about 80%+ of my drive is quiet. I think it's wind forcing its way through a bad seal or something, but I haven't been able to confirm. I think it's coming from the area of the driver side door by the parking brake.

From the other threads I've read, I think this is a common problem with these vehicles, but I haven't heard it described like this, so I wasn't sure.

Any ideas? I would appreciate any help, I'm planning on bringing it to the dealership on Tuesday, but I don't know if A) I'd be wasting my time or B) if they'll just introduce new problems. Thanks in advance!