C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Are these issues normal??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 01:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 C300 Sport
Are these issues normal??

Just for my first Mercedes, a 2013 C300 Sport. I've noticed a few things and I want to make sure they are normal so any opinions or related issues would be great.

1. Long turnover when starting cold. I've noticed that when it it cold, it turns over for 2-3 seconds before starting. I've never had a car take this long to turn over, so it this normal?

2. Loud clicking under the hood. I've noticed a pretty loud clicking at times coming from under the hood. A little research on this said it was just the DI, but it still freaks me out that something more is wrong. I cannot hear it with the windows up or if I am driving, but if I am idling with the window down, I can hear it pretty loud. I popped the hood and it seems to be coming from directly on top of the motor. Normal to me that loud?
Old 03-05-2017, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Originally Posted by zrheath
Just for my first Mercedes, a 2013 C300 Sport. I've noticed a few things and I want to make sure they are normal so any opinions or related issues would be great.

1. Long turnover when starting cold. I've noticed that when it it cold, it turns over for 2-3 seconds before starting. I've never had a car take this long to turn over, so it this normal?

2. Loud clicking under the hood. I've noticed a pretty loud clicking at times coming from under the hood. A little research on this said it was just the DI, but it still freaks me out that something more is wrong. I cannot hear it with the windows up or if I am driving, but if I am idling with the window down, I can hear it pretty loud. I popped the hood and it seems to be coming from directly on top of the motor. Normal to me that loud?
1. Not normal. Your car has the same M276 engine as mine and mine fires quickly. Perhaps your battery is on the way out?

2. This is normal. It took me a while to get used to the sound of this engine.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:43 PM

2013 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
1. Not normal. Your car has the same M276 engine as mine and mine fires quickly. Perhaps your battery is on the way out?

2. This is normal. It took me a while to get used to the sound of this engine.
Thanks for the reply. I'll definitely be looking into the battery now. The ticking still freaks me out though
Old 03-05-2017, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Yeah, it can be quite obnoxious.. but no cause for concern.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C300 Sport 3.0L V6

1. Long turnover, is more than likely the battery. Mine went out earlier this week and the clues that the car was giving me were ONLY slow start. Another way to tell if it's the battery is by way of the locking mechanism when it chirps at you, if it sounds weaker than normal, then yeah it's the battery. Everything else will work fine as that's the only thing I've found that I can use to identify clues.

As for 2. I don't know what that could be hope you figure it out.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2012 C350 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
Yeah, it can be quite obnoxious.. but no cause for concern.
Yeah, mine was "obnoxious" as you put it as well (M276 DI engine).... and was told by several that is the new reality of these engines. However, I heard several that were not nearly as loud and I finally "bit" the bullet and ordered a new high pressure fuel pump (the source of the loud clicking) and the new pump is MUCH quieter. In fact, you only hear a slight faint clicking noise when the hood is open. The MB tech who replaced my pump mentioned that a lot of the earlier production M276 engines were quite loud, but, the later model ones are better and the new pump proves that. If you can live with it, there is no performance or reliability concerns, but, if you're picky like me, its around $500 -$600 (Cdn) for the pump and 2.5 hrs to install...
Old 03-06-2017, 11:07 PM

2013 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by Mgloznao
1. Long turnover, is more than likely the battery. Mine went out earlier this week and the clues that the car was giving me were ONLY slow start. Another way to tell if it's the battery is by way of the locking mechanism when it chirps at you, if it sounds weaker than normal, then yeah it's the battery. Everything else will work fine as that's the only thing I've found that I can use to identify clues.

As for 2. I don't know what that could be hope you figure it out.
When you say "chirping" from the locking mechanism, are you referring to the typical horn/sound a car makes when being locked from the outside? My 2013 C300 had never made a sound when being locked, which I found a little odd. Only flashing lights.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:11 PM

2013 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by pozi240
Yeah, mine was "obnoxious" as you put it as well (M276 DI engine).... and was told by several that is the new reality of these engines. However, I heard several that were not nearly as loud and I finally "bit" the bullet and ordered a new high pressure fuel pump (the source of the loud clicking) and the new pump is MUCH quieter. In fact, you only hear a slight faint clicking noise when the hood is open. The MB tech who replaced my pump mentioned that a lot of the earlier production M276 engines were quite loud, but, the later model ones are better and the new pump proves that. If you can live with it, there is no performance or reliability concerns, but, if you're picky like me, its around $500 -$600 (Cdn) for the pump and 2.5 hrs to install...
Thanks for the info! Glad to know there is a solution if I ever get tired of hearing like a time-bomb driving down the road
Old 03-07-2017, 07:02 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2012 C350 4Matic Sport
When you say "chirping" from the locking mechanism, are you referring to the typical horn/sound a car makes when being locked from the outside? My 2013 C300 had never made a sound when being locked, which I found a little odd. Only flashing lights.
Its a setting in the Convenience menu in the instrument cluster. You can turn the "chirp" on or off. The visual signals for the alarm are always on regardless of setting.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:18 AM

2013 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by pozi240
Its a setting in the Convenience menu in the instrument cluster. You can turn the "chirp" on or off. The visual signals for the alarm are always on regardless of setting.
ive looked at all those settings but didn't know what some of them were for. I'll have to mess with them today.