C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

C300 door replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c300
C300 door replacement

My c300 (2015) was involved in an accident and the rear right door needs to be replaced. The repair shop is recommending to use a "used" door from another c300 (same or newer year and lower mileage). They are saying it's a plus because the inside of the original door is completely damaged and using this "used" door gives an advantage that it's already preassembled. They are also saying there is no negative with using a used door. Appreciate your feedback..
Old 03-23-2017, 07:10 PM
IGB

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
'08 C300 MM Pano
Originally Posted by saurabhpuri
My c300 (2015) was involved in an accident and the rear right door needs to be replaced. The repair shop is recommending to use a "used" door from another c300 (same or newer year and lower mileage). They are saying it's a plus because the inside of the original door is completely damaged and using this "used" door gives an advantage that it's already preassembled. They are also saying there is no negative with using a used door. Appreciate your feedback..
My first question is where is your insurance in all of this??? Because while some insurers will actually allow using used parts (it has become the norm with some auto policies that specifically make it their option to use used parts as long as the meet safety standards), others may have issue with it!

The only negative I would see if they are also transferring the used window motor and regulator, but even then, only if those parts have issues.

The rear doors on my vehicle are rarely used... So as long as (a) the savings are transferred on to my bill rather than to their pockets, and (b) the door is stripped and repainted, I see no issue with a used door whatsoever. Even a brand new OEM door will have to be painted...
Old 03-27-2017, 01:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 C300 Sport
I just had my rear driver's side door replaced two weeks ago. Jimmy John's driver backed in my car parked on the street in front of my house... That was a sad day.

Anyway, I talked to both my insurance company as well as the driver's and decided it was best to replace with a used door. My only concerns with this were moving the tinted glass from the damaged door to the new door, as well as obvious paint blending/matching. So I talked to a few repair shops and they all said it was no problem. So I chose one that was close but not the cheapest (didn't matter as other driver's insurance covered everything). Needless to say, they transferred the glass no problem and the paint matches perfectly (Lunar Blue Metallic). Can't even tell it ever happened. The only difference is the motor in the replacement door is a little bit peppier than in my old door? Wouldn't really think it would make a difference as it was used but who knows. Also, if you bought your insurance policy and didn't specifically tell them you'd like brand new parts (this would result in a higher premium so they'd likely tell you) they'll only pay for used parts anyway.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:42 PM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
2011 C300 4Matic Sport
Get a used door and save some $$$