C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

2009 C350 - Crack in Rear Subframe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2023, 04:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 C300 4Matic
2010 C300 Subframe Rust Inside Out

First, thank you to everyone who has described in this thread their sad experiences with this C-Class design fault. Recently my wife and I joined your ranks. We purchased our 2010 C300 4Matic new from a dealership and have had all of our services completed, on time, by that dealership. My wife has been the primary driver and has meticulously kept the car washed on a very regular basis. Until now this car has been the most reliable car we have owned and it still looks great after only 105,000 miles. My wife started hearing a thumping noise occasionally which we thought was coming from the trunk area. She mentioned this noise when she had the car in for other service. What they found shocked us (see video). The rear subframe had rusted through and the lower stabilizer rod had broken free on both sides of the vehicle! I see from the internet that this problem has been known to MB for years. Posts show that the subframes rust from the inside out. If you pause my video at the right points and look closely you can see there is a thick build-up of rust inside the subframe. This inside out rusting may be why our MB service personnel had not noticed this before the failure. As others here have mentioned, owners in Canada and Europe have had success in getting MB to take responsibility for this. I agree with some of the posts that it is unbelievable that this has been around this long with no recall here in the US. I have called MB Customer Care twice so far and have a case number. Both times they stated that I would hear a response within two business days but so far that has not happened. I would like to hear from anyone in the US who has had success in getting MB to take responsibility for this defect. I will provide updates as this saga proceeds.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
2010C3004Matic 105K.MOV (922.6 KB, 27 views)
Old 01-25-2023, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
Originally Posted by Fishwhencan
First, thank you to everyone who has described in this thread their sad experiences with this C-Class design fault. Recently my wife and I joined your ranks. We purchased our 2010 C300 4Matic new from a dealership and have had all of our services completed, on time, by that dealership. My wife has been the primary driver and has meticulously kept the car washed on a very regular basis. Until now this car has been the most reliable car we have owned and it still looks great after only 105,000 miles. My wife started hearing a thumping noise occasionally which we thought was coming from the trunk area. She mentioned this noise when she had the car in for other service. What they found shocked us (see video). The rear subframe had rusted through and the lower stabilizer rod had broken free on both sides of the vehicle! I see from the internet that this problem has been known to MB for years. Posts show that the subframes rust from the inside out. If you pause my video at the right points and look closely you can see there is a thick build-up of rust inside the subframe. This inside out rusting may be why our MB service personnel had not noticed this before the failure. As others here have mentioned, owners in Canada and Europe have had success in getting MB to take responsibility for this. I agree with some of the posts that it is unbelievable that this has been around this long with no recall here in the US. I have called MB Customer Care twice so far and have a case number. Both times they stated that I would hear a response within two business days but so far that has not happened. I would like to hear from anyone in the US who has had success in getting MB to take responsibility for this defect. I will provide updates as this saga proceeds.
Good luck, buddy. Hate to break it to you, but I had no success with them in NY. I hit a not so crazy pothole when I started to notice the problem. I did not think anything was severely damaged. I ended up going through insurance, which inevitably affected my premiums. I called MB HQ and all and they could care less. I'm glad Allstate took care of it, given the fact that it all started after hitting a pot hole.

Disgusting of them to not stand by this. Best of luck!
Old 01-26-2023, 03:24 PM

2010 C300 4Matic
Thank you godman114 for your feedback. No big potholes or curbs for us, just puttering around our small town. I actually received a voice message from MB Customer Care this morning and am now playing phone tag. I don't have high hopes for this first encounter. However, being retired now I am always looking for interesting projects to take on
Old 02-10-2023, 11:14 AM

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Wanted to reach out to you and let you know that the rear subframe has been added with an extended warranty from the factory. Standard warranty was 4yr / 50,000 miles and has been extended to 20 years / unlimited miles.

You can possibly be reimbursed for this repair you paid for yourself. You should receive a notification in the mail from MBUSA on this. Once you do see your local dealer on how and if they can process a credit for this now covered repair.

Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC (MBUSA) has extended the warranty for the rear subframe on the vehicles listed below, from the original New Vehicle Limited Warranty of 4 years/50,000 miles to 20 years/unlimited miles, and applies to the vehicle regardless of ownership.

This warranty extension applies to the replacement of the rear subframe under the standard warranty terms and conditions in the event the subframe experiences corrosion with perforation (holes). The extended warranty is applicable to the following vehicles:

Model Year

Model (platform)

Model Year

Model (platform)

2005 - 2011

SLK-Class (R171)

2008 - 2015

C-Class Sedan/Coupe (W/C204)

2012 - 2017

SLK-Class (R172)

2010 - 2015

GLK-Class (X204)

2012 - 2016

CLS-Class (C218)

2010 - 2016

E-Class Sedan/Wagon (W/S212)

2013 - 2016

SL-Class (R231)

2010 - 2017

E-Class Coupe/Cabrio (C/A207)
The following users liked this post:
Odd Piggy (02-11-2023)
Old 02-11-2023, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 436 Likes on 359 Posts
2021 GLB250 FWD, 2023 GLA250 FWD
Can you post a picture of the letter? Some people never get these extended warranty notifications.
Old 02-11-2023, 12:57 PM

2010 C300 4Matic

edeleonmb has posted the original image in another thread. Search for edeleonmb and you should find it.

The following users liked this post:
Odd Piggy (02-11-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 08:35 AM

2011 c300
I got a letter today from MB

check your mail. They have extended the warranty of the subframe on my 2011 c300 to 20 years and unlimited miles.

Originally Posted by LiamKoni
Seriously? So many cases of these rotting Mercedes structural members, just in this forum alone, but you think its an attack on Mercedes? Or are your comments meant to negate the complaints themselves.

Add one more to the list.
I have a 2011 South African C300 which is in otherwise beautiful condition and less than 80K miles (bought it with 65K). First it was the transfer case which had a poor quality gear metal composition ($3500) and now the rear left lower control arm bracket breaking off suddenly causing my wife and I to veer towards oncoming traffic. Upon inspection, the issue with the sub frame is not only defective metal but also material that is WAY TOO THIN a gauge for the service expected of these parts. Too thin to even weld and repair I am told. Heck, the welds are thicker and stronger than the thin press formed metal brackets that are supposed to handle years of extreme stresses.

This issue is FATAL to the car making it UNSAFE for service. It may also be fatal to life and limb, either to passengers or bystanders.

VERY DANGEROUS ISSUE HERE!

Note: Have your car's undercarriage checked regularly (at least once a year).
Especially if you are having unusual tire wear (scalloped surface) and vibration on your rear tires.
Car seems to be pulling off to either side too easily.
Noises in rear when braking forwards or backwards, etc.

One of the greatest issues the world is suffering from is P.O.S. (Planned Obsolescence Syndrome). Fix this and you save economies and ecologies.
Old 04-15-2023, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 257 Likes on 228 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2008 ML550 4Matic; 2004 C320
Originally Posted by Vantard
check your mail. They have extended the warranty of the subframe on my 2011 c300 to 20 years and unlimited miles.
YES, I as well received the letter in the mail for the extended 20 year warranty.

Why do some people never get these extended warranty notifications? Because the car was most likely purchased used and therefore MB has no knowledge of who is the current owner of the vehicle. Every original purchaser/owner who has not sold the vehicle and has not changed their address should receive the recall notices.

Every time I purchase a used MB, first action is to call MB of North America and register the vehicle with the VIN Number with them, so they have a record of it in their database showing me as the owner. If my address changes, the same situation. Call MB of North America and update it. Therefore, I do receive these notices accordingly.
Old 05-15-2023, 03:25 PM

2011 C300 Sport
I never got the letter, but thanks to posts on this site I finally saw the extension of the warranty announcement from 2/10/23. I called the dealer who did the work & they are now processing my refund of the money spent on the new subframe. I am the original owner, so I don't know why I never got the letter.
Old 05-18-2023, 01:00 PM

w204 benz
Anyone one from Vancouver or BC canada has this issue, looking for people to show samples of the issue to start a class action lawsuit for this issue since MB Canada doesn't seen to acknowlege this issue as a problem
Old 05-18-2023, 01:07 PM

Received 150 Likes on 130 Posts
2008 C350 Sport 4Matic Swap
Originally Posted by strickmans
Anyone one from Vancouver or BC canada has this issue, looking for people to show samples of the issue to start a class action lawsuit for this issue since MB Canada doesn't seen to acknowlege this issue as a problem
Mercedes wont do sh*t meanwhile I keep getting letters for my 15 year old Honda for a rusted subframe recall and there's probably 10x less of them failing compared to mercedes.
Old 05-18-2023, 01:09 PM

w204 benz
Are you in vancouver? Cause I have a team of lawyer that will be filling it against MB canada but I need help from local people there?
Old 05-18-2023, 01:11 PM

Received 150 Likes on 130 Posts
2008 C350 Sport 4Matic Swap
Originally Posted by strickmans
Are you in vancouver? Cause I have a team of lawyer that will be filling it against MB canada but I need help from local people there?
Nah I'm on the other side in quebec and my subframe never failed because I rustproofed it from day one (Dealer said MB don't need rustproofing) but I have seen countless of them fail.
Old 05-18-2023, 01:11 PM

w204 benz
Originally Posted by ltwargssf
Mercedes wont do sh*t meanwhile I keep getting letters for my 15 year old Honda for a rusted subframe recall and there's probably 10x less of them failing compared to mercedes.
Do you live in Vancouver or not? I have a team of lawyer