C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Any chance to get Apple CarPlay in my car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 06:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz C300 Sport 4Matic (W204)
Any chance to get Apple CarPlay in my car?

I had CarPlay in my previous car, a 2013 VW Passat (which VW bought back last year), and I really got used to it's convenience to send texts by speaking to Siri, for example.

Has anyone succeeded to retrofit this?
Old 04-19-2017, 11:49 AM

2014 C300 4MATIC Sport
to my knowledge this isn't possible without fitting a 3rd party screen where the command system is.
there's a member on here that got it to work, but I don't think it would be worth the money and effort.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:31 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
2010 C350 Sport
Originally Posted by DoctorTurbo
to my knowledge this isn't possible without fitting a 3rd party screen where the command system is.
there's a member on here that got it to work, but I don't think it would be worth the money and effort.
He also had to sacrifice the COMAND knob and must use a bluetooth keyboard/trackball thing to control it.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:27 PM

Yes, I know, I too have seen that thread. I just don't understand why MB wouldn't consider updating their software to add this feature, and as they're at it add Android Auto as well.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:48 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
2010 C350 Sport
No manufacturer would devote the resources to overhaul a nearly decade old infotainment software when those resources are better spent on future vehicles. This is somewhat changing with Tesla, Android Auto, and Apple CarPlay but the manufacturer wants you to buy a new vehicle rather than keep you in an old one. The only reason Android and Apple systems get updated is because they are third party systems with a different business model. And Tesla is, well ... different, they don't behave like a typical automotive manufacturer but more like a consumer electronics manufacturer.

When infotainment systems started appearing in cars they were considered a literal "part" of the car, like any trim piece or engine component. Once a part is developed it is not changed or altered by the manufacturer unless there is a safety issue. This is changing based on the fact that consumers prefer their smartphones over the infotainment system in the car, and in order to compete the manufacturer needs produce something more enticing and keep it up to date. But it's just easier to use Android or Apple rather than waste the money on something people won't use.

In short; money.

Last edited by Shimee; 04-19-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:33 PM

Thank you Shimee, you are right, though consumers don't seem to appreciate this approach as much as the manufacturers like to believe. As a creative director I am very well acquainted with these marketing tactics driven by money.

But, as you may be well aware, the focus is now rapidly shifting towards enhancing the user experience, which is more and more valid for all products and services. As the MB brand considers itself "top of the line", it has lost points in my personal user experience, especially as I'm already paying (much) more for my car compared to similar equipped ones, in addition I have to pay a premium for service, even during the warranty period.

So, if MB wants me to buy a new car just to get Apple CarPlay back (I had it in my older previous car), they won't have a deal.

In my experience saving money on a relative small software development may hurt MB in the long run, as other competitor brands are surging ahead.

Not a great strategy. I expect much more from MB than penny pinching.