C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Strange Grinding/Squeaking Noises

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz c300 4matic
Exclamation Strange Grinding/Squeaking Noises

Greetings All,

Current owner of a 2014 C300 4matic, 53k miles. Purchased from dealership as a CPO dealer loner car with 8k miles.

For the past 20-25k miles, I've had issues with what I believe to be the suspension. To summarize:

-first issue: loud squeaking/squealing noticed while going up my parking garage, mostly when making corners. Very loud and almost embarrassing to an extent. Dealership couldn't replicate when I brought it in for service and addressed the first time.
-Loud high pitcher squeaking continued, especially around corners and noticed mostly in my parking garage. I began to notice it also when I would stop at a gas station or grocery store and come back to drive it again while warm but not hot. Equally as loud and even squeaked while trekking a straight line. The squeaking seemed to match wheel speed. Once the car got "hot" again, all noise would go completely away.
-got smart and started to use the video camera on my iPhone when this would happen to record since dealership could still not fine anything wrong. Upon the tech listening he immediately recognized it and diagnosed it as a problem with the parking break. I can't remember the specifics but I believe it involved filing something down or the sort.
-noise certainly reduced, but not eliminated 100%.

-Second issue: coupled with the above squeaking, I began to notice almost a grinding or a rubbing feeling under my feet when driving the car while warm, but not hot. Sometimes it does it when cold but mostly noticeable if it's been sitting for at least 30-60 minutes after getting hot. You can hear the rubbing/grinding noise as well. Almost reminds me of a failing bearing or something in the suspension not aligning correctly. Also reminds me of a stuck brake pad or caliper. This noise/feeling is not dependent on the direction of the vehicle and will do it going straight or around corners until it gets hot again.
-brought this up to dealer during next service visit. Again, unable to replicate. Strangely they recommended to wait until it got worse and to bring it back then, which doesn't exactly make me feel safe considering I make long trips for work.
-since my last service visit in January, the squeaking has gotten worse and I have started recording it again. The rubbing/grinding noise/feeling is still there as well.

Third issue: 2 weeks ago I had to drive from Baltimore to Pittsburgh. Drove through some snow but overall smooth 4 hour trip. The garage had VERY tight corners. I had my window down from getting my ticket on my way in and going around the corners I felt and heard a distinct "clicking" noise, similar to the sound the gas cap makes when you click it shut. I initially thought it was something on the garage floor I was driving over, but by the third floor I figured out it was coming from my car making the left corners. Nothing other than pavement on the garage floor. Leaving after my meeting the car didn't make the noise, save for the above mentioned other issues.

I apologize for the novel. However the dealership hasn't been of much help and insists that the wheels/brakes/calipers/bearings/suspension/bearings etc. have been thoroughly inspected and are fine. They even complimented the mechanical and overall condition of my car.

Any ideas on what this may be? I have a feeling all 3 issues are linked in some way. I need to sell the car early next year as my company reimburses me for car payments and only allows us a car 4 model years or newer. Would prefer to take advantage of the CPO warranty it's still under and sell the car myself to maximize value. Looking at a 2018 A4 Prestige as my next vehicle so it's not like I'm trading it back to MB to deal with.

I appreciate all who took the time to read this and any ideas you may have!!

Best,
Dave
Old 04-20-2017, 07:46 PM

2014 Mercedes-Benz c300 4matic
I should also note that the same squeaking noise mentioned above is also replicated when going over a bump or pothole, 100% of the time. There's a very slight pothole/dip in the road by my condo I drive over every morning, and every single time the car squeaks. Front driver wheel of it makes a difference.

Also, on certain days when the squeaking is particularly bad, when I'm parked I can push the car forward or backwards while off and in park and the squeaking is also very evident. Sounds almost like a squeaky door or a squeaky dog toy.
Old 11-08-2020, 04:20 PM

2015 C300
I'm having this exact issue on a 2015 C300. Front suspension squeaks loudly, notably on steering (although also on all vertical suspension travel). Did you have any resolution?
Old 11-09-2020, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 144 Likes on 134 Posts
2012 C300 4MATIC Sport
Originally Posted by Dave788
I should also note that the same squeaking noise mentioned above is also replicated when going over a bump or pothole, 100% of the time. There's a very slight pothole/dip in the road by my condo I drive over every morning, and every single time the car squeaks. Front driver wheel of it makes a difference.

Also, on certain days when the squeaking is particularly bad, when I'm parked I can push the car forward or backwards while off and in park and the squeaking is also very evident. Sounds almost like a squeaky door or a squeaky dog toy.
Although this video is for the W212 suspension, it shares a lot of similarities with the W204. Watch it and see if it answers your questions:
The following users liked this post:
invalidjson (11-09-2020)