C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Audio 20 speaker upgrade advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01' c320 (sold) / 03' Ford Focus(sold) :( / 98' C230 / 00' SL500 / 11' C300 Sport RWD w204
Audio 20 speaker upgrade advice

Hi guys,

I know there's an entire thread that became devoted to advocating for infinity kappas for our car. Because of this thread it seems there's next to no source for anyone having tried other speakers that I could find. Every search just returns that thread. Just wondering if anyone has tried anything different. The kappas do not seem to be worth the $170 price tag that they're at right now when similar JBL 2-3ohm components can be had for half or less (GTO608C, GTO609C, GX600C). I did notice infinity released the primus line which is relatively cheap ($70).

I'm running the stock audio 20 headunit. From what I understand adding an additional amp to power high impedance speakers can't be done due to the optical fiber system used for the rest of our control components so I wanted to keep the ohms of the upgrade to 2-3.

* I'm trying to run speakers only. If absolutely necessary I may run a sub. I wanted to do all of the installs on my own so the less work the better (will be new to this).

* I'm willing to spend up to $150 but preferable $100 or lower. I'm only going to be upgrading the front set as I've read a rear upgrade isn't necessary and if on a limited budget to pour all funds into the fronts.

* Originally when the thread popped up I changed the EQ within the engineering menu per ICON's settings and the stock speakers performance was dramatic. So much so to the point where even now I feel like they sound great. I'm a bit worried the upgrade won't be as big of a jump/wow as compared to people who upgraded from stock speakers / stock EQ.

Any input is appreciated!
Old 04-27-2017, 03:44 AM

W204 C280 4matic
Hi bringtherain,

I have installed JBL gx600C in the front, running off Alpine 4ch amp and an Alpine sub, running off Alpine mono amp. I don't think the Audio 20 has fiber optics, but even then, that would only become an issue, if you want to change the headunit. I can be wrong though.

Upgrading the speakers makes the biggest difference, put adding the amp to run them gives a lot of clarity and improves the sound overall.

Adding sub to the equation changes everything, you dont need a lot of power, but you can really tell the difference. Especially when you disconnect the sub after having it for some time, the sound becomes empty and kinda cold.

Thats my opinion on the topic and everyone can correct me, if I got someting wrong!
Old 04-27-2017, 10:37 PM

01' c320 (sold) / 03' Ford Focus(sold) :( / 98' C230 / 00' SL500 / 11' C300 Sport RWD w204
Originally Posted by Hendrik
Hi bringtherain,

I have installed JBL gx600C in the front, running off Alpine 4ch amp and an Alpine sub, running off Alpine mono amp. I don't think the Audio 20 has fiber optics, but even then, that would only become an issue, if you want to change the headunit. I can be wrong though.

Upgrading the speakers makes the biggest difference, put adding the amp to run them gives a lot of clarity and improves the sound overall.

Adding sub to the equation changes everything, you dont need a lot of power, but you can really tell the difference. Especially when you disconnect the sub after having it for some time, the sound becomes empty and kinda cold.

Thats my opinion on the topic and everyone can correct me, if I got someting wrong!
So glad to hear that adding a amp is possible. I'm pretty learning from the ground up so when I saw someone noting it wasn't possibly I was torn. How does the GX600C sound? I had actually placed an order but ended up cancelling since I couldn't find much about it. I'm bouncing between the GX600C, GTO609C, and the polk DB6502. Would love to hear your opinion on the particular unit. Hows the tweeters? I'm pretty treble sensitive.
Old 05-08-2017, 03:29 AM

W204 C280 4matic
Honestly, the only thing I can really say is that they're better than stock, since I haven't heared other aftermarket speakers. At first I had the crossovers set to +3dB on tweeters, but that was too much, at 0dB they sound a lot better.

I don't know how easy it is to add amp to the Harman system, but if you have the stock system, then you can do it for sure.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 118 Likes on 109 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic Sport Sedan
if i could go back i wouldn't just add a sub/amp, id do the speakers first then do the rest later. other wise its just blah....
Old 05-08-2017, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
Here's a popular thread on upgrading the W204 stock speakers. The Audio20 has ample power if quality high efficiency and low ohm speakers are installed.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...r-upgrade.html
Old 01-09-2022, 09:28 PM

W204
Can you post or send me a link for icons post for the settings you talked about

* Originally when the thread popped up I changed the EQ within the engineering menu per ICON's settings and the stock speakers performance was dramatic. So much so to the point where even now I feel like they sound great. I'm a bit worried the upgrade won't be as big of a jump/wow as compared to people who upgraded from stock speakers / stock EQ.