C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Sticking Parking Brake?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 05:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C250
Red face Sticking Parking Brake?

After releasing the Parking Brake, the pedal comes up and the latch clicks but the light stays on and it feels engaged until I pull the latch a few more times. I've just had my maintenance done last week and added a brake service onto it for an additional charge. I'm assuming, hoping rather that it is related to that and will be fixed free of charge from dealership but I'm wondering if anyone has run into this or knows of the cause of it if something other than my brake service?
Old 05-14-2017, 08:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,042 Likes on 965 Posts
1999 E300TD
What do you mean "added brake service" to maintenance-----did the dealership put new pads on the car or is just your brain child----what did they actually do?!!
Old 05-15-2017, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 242 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
^what he said.

I was going to guess there's a rusted parking brake line in there, but I still don't get what the OP is saying.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:32 AM

C250
Originally Posted by Plutoe
What do you mean "added brake service" to maintenance-----did the dealership put new pads on the car or is just your brain child----what did they actually do?!!
As bad as it may sound I'm not entirely sure what it was. Midway through my B1 service my service adviser said it was what was being recommended by the mechanics. It was titled brake service for $140. I guess I'll do an update later today, I'll be contacting my adviser. All in she gave me a killer deal so I'm hoping it will be okay.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:38 AM

C250
Originally Posted by TheBestElijah
As bad as it may sound I'm not entirely sure what it was. Midway through my B1 service my service adviser said it was what was being recommended by the mechanics. It was titled brake service for $140. I guess I'll do an update later today, I'll be contacting my adviser. All in she gave me a killer deal so I'm hoping it will be okay.
Per their website a brake serivce consists of : Replacement of front or rear pads or linings // Replacement of rotors if necessary /// Brake component inspection
Old 05-16-2017, 03:29 PM

C250
Smile

Diagnosis: The manual parking brake assembly itself is worn out. I'm going to have to replace the full assembly which costs $518. They did state that for now it is okay to keep, it just releases slower than it should . Basically they told me to only use it when I'm on a really steep hill and everything will be okay.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C220 CDI SLK 200
Originally Posted by TheBestElijah
Diagnosis: The manual parking brake assembly itself is worn out. I'm going to have to replace the full assembly which costs $518. They did state that for now it is okay to keep, it just releases slower than it should . Basically they told me to only use it when I'm on a really steep hill and everything will be okay.
I think there is a gas strut attached to the handbrake same as the hood. They cost about 50 dollars and take a few minutes to replace. If you can edge your toe behind the manual hand brake and pull it backwards when you release the brake and the light goes out the gas strut definitely needs replacing. Avoid the rip offs

Last edited by Big Daddy; 05-19-2017 at 09:28 AM.