C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Annoying sunroof vidration noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 04:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 C350 Coupe
Annoying sunroof vidration noise

Maybe someone can identify what is going on here and making this noise.
YouTube video:

When it’s hot and sunny out, the glass of the sunroof make a vibration noise when the car is motionless and put into either drive or reverse. Once the car begins to move, the vibration goes away. I can reduce the vibration with my hand pushing on the glass. When it’s not hot and sunny, the noise is not present.

I have had the car to the dealership twice for this problem and both times they were not able to reproduce the issue. The first time which was before winter, the service guy tightened all the bolts and that did not help. Last month, I started dealing with a new service advisor that doesn’t seem interested in helping me since the guy I always dealt with has moved on. I’ve even emailed him the video as I was unable to get to the dealership and my request for assistance is falling on deaf ears. His only answer is to tell me that they can’t fix what they can’t reproduce.

I’m hoping someone knows what is going on as I’d like to go to the dealership with a possible cause / idea of what needs to be fixed.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 242 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
Have you tried putting in white grease in the tracks?
Old 05-23-2017, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 242 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
Also, see https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ng-solved.html
Old 05-24-2017, 07:11 AM

2015 C350 Coupe
I have not tried white grease in the tracks. I doubt this would help as the roof is quiet when closed. I will however try it so that I can rule it out.

It almost seems like a the cause is the transmission vibrating the car as it only happens when the car is in drive or reverse and standing motionless. Since the roof is the part making noise, I will do what I can to keep it from rattling.

It feels like the noise is a symptom of something else and fixing it is like going to the emergency room and telling the doc, my arm hurts and the doc saying, "let me give you some pain meds for that severed arm and missing hand. It won't fix the problem, but at least you will be comfortable while you bleed to death." *laughs*
Old 06-22-2017, 01:25 PM

2015 C350 Coupe
finally found the problem.

2 weeks ago, I had another sunroof problem occur again when it's hot and sunny out. The sunroof would not close. It would get to the point of dropping down into closed position and the wind deflector would cause it to bounce back open. I found that manually moving the wind deflector up and down overcame the problem. So did trying to close the roof a half dozen times.

It went into service at the dealers on Monday. Tuesday I has to go show the technicians and shop manager the rattle as they didn't know what they were looking for. As it turns out, the rattle is not a problem with the roof. It's the transmission mounts. I'm getting a new set and the car will be back to me tomorrow. As for the closing issue, they told me that they need to lube the heck out of the roof so everything moves as it's supposed to...until the lube dries out and it stops closing again.

The car is under warranty until May of next year. It's a 2013 and they replaced the motor on the roof to get it through pre owned certification in 2015. Now the trans mounts in 2017. Should I be looking to get into something a bit more reliable?
Old 06-22-2017, 02:55 PM

Received 87 Likes on 84 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Sounds like the sunroof motor was replaced before you bought the car, so that was something that did not affect you. Since then you found out the motor mounts need to be replaced, under warranty, which isn't that big of a deal and didn't cost you any money. I would hardly call that being unreliable. Almost every used car will have a few things come up that might be annoying, you are lucky enough they are happening under warranty. Plus, you have another year to assure that anything that might come up is covered and still won't cost you anything. By then I would think the car would be fully sorted. I wouldn't dump it unless you have a lot more issues.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:49 PM

2015 C350 Coupe
After 2 weeks of driving the vibration came back. I took it in today and they told me that the parts that lift the roof up were loose and causing the vibration. Parts ordered. Getting car back tomorrow, hopefully.