C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

C220 W204 Multiple error codes - ESP, ABS, Pre safe, Parktronic, TCM etc

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C220
C220 W204 Multiple error codes - ESP, ABS, Pre safe, Parktronic, TCM etc

Hi..

I am new to this forum, so bear with me if I do not understand some technical language or abbreviations.

I just bought a Used Mercedes - C 220 -2009 W204.. Engine Code OM 646.811. At the time of purchase the dealer told me that there are quite a few error codes which are being displayed due to some faulty connections and can be all fixed in under $1000 budget..Being new to a luxury car, I believed him and bought the car!

Now here is the situation - Dealer is asking for $8000 for repairs! I'll give a brief on what error codes are there and what is the current situation

1) ESP/Pre-safe/ABS/Run flat indicator inoperative are being displayed on the Instrument cluster - ABS light is ON and a yellow triangle with exclamation is on. I took the car to MB dealership to get it checked. They said that the ESP module on this car has been replaced with a used one and the vins are not matching, hence the ABS and ESP issue.

Below are error codes in scanner
5981 - fault status during valve calibration
6301 - the vins in control units "N30/4 (Electronic stability control unit)" and "N73 (electronic ignition lock control unit)" are not identical

They mentioned that they cannot recode the VIN. so I tried finding techs who can recode the ESP, couple of them tried but failed. so no result here.. Also, sometimes my parking brake light starts blinking and the engine looses power (someone mentioned that car is in emergency mode). Till today, I'll turn off the engine and start again, it'll be fine But today I had to go to a mechanic to erase all codes to get rid of emergency mode.

Also, cruise control and speedtronic are inoperative plus when I shift to manual transmission..I can only down shift the gears but cannot upshift (I cannot start the car with Manual transmission as it does not go beyond D1)

fyi.. My power steering is working fine.

2) There was an error code for boost pressure sensor. MB dealership told me that there is a fault with Turbo Actuator (electronic) but they can only replace the whole turbo and actuator ,as it comes as a unit. I found a used actuator outside and got it replaced, now the power is back but sometimes it feels as there is a lag or very high rev but no power. The Mechanic who fitted the part said that this may be because of ESP/ABS but actuator is working fine. Now, going over the internet, i found multiple opinion about replacement of the actuator - that it needs to be calibrated to turbo (my mechanic just replaced it) or it cannot be calibrated at all as this is done at factory (garrett) for the units (turbo+actuator) to work together.. It'll be great if someone can shed light on this - whether to go for full replacement or stay with this actuator and if the issues (lag and high rev) are related to ESP/ABS or actuator?..btw..my engine light was on before actuator replacement, which has gone after the replacement.

3) Erratic lights - my lights are behaving erratic -
in Tail lamps - for one light reverse light and indicator comes in top red light
in left head light - parking and top long sleek lights work together and sometime the right headlight top long sleek lights come on when I switch off the engine. I have to move the key to position just before start again and bring it back to switch it off.
Also, tail lamp bulb holder connector and wiring connector are burnt for both lights and left head light the small bulb next to xenon has burnt the casing inside (though all bulbs work)

other codes TCM/SRS etc go away when technician erases the memory but they come back in next scan.. It'll be great if someone can help here.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Very sorry to hear of your problems.

Most people would have asked the dealer to repair faults before purchasing as they have the expertise & equipment to do it more cheaply than anyone. How much did you pay ? What is the mileage?

I do know the tail light bulb holder burning is a know fault & should be replaced through a recall. The problem was that the earth wire was not large enough to carry the load. I remember people doing their own fix by replacing the earth wire with a larger one. See this from the search engine here :-https://mbworld.org/forums/search.php?searchid=18743882

It would be a good idea to have your front & rear SAMS checked.

Good luck & let us know your progress.

John

Last edited by Carsy; 05-31-2017 at 05:01 PM.