C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

w204 AC No Cold Air

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz C-300
w204 AC No Cold Air

Recently m 2009 c-300 with 98k miles, made a whining noise while driving and then presented me with no cold air whatsoever. Figured at first it was a low refrigerant problem, but the low pressure valve doesn't seem to draw in any additional refrigerant. It doesn't sound like the clutch is engaging either when I hit the ac/on button. Any insight as to what the problem may be?
Old 06-01-2017, 08:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 241 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
Originally Posted by Josh13
Recently m 2009 c-300 with 98k miles, made a whining noise while driving and then presented me with no cold air whatsoever. Figured at first it was a low refrigerant problem, but the low pressure valve doesn't seem to draw in any additional refrigerant. It doesn't sound like the clutch is engaging either when I hit the ac/on button. Any insight as to what the problem may be?
Compressor is probably toast. Our clutches are variable though. It's not a case of on or off... So I'm not sure if you can in fact hear it.
The following users liked this post:
Josh13 (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 06:23 PM

Mercedes Benz C-300
Yeah my guess is the compressor may be toast or the control valve on the compressor may have failed. Thanks for the clarification. I just found out the compressor uses a swatch plate, hence the variable valve ac compressor is always turning. Are there any possible diagnosis I can do myself before selling my soul to the stealership or an indy shop?

Maybe a test to measure levels of refrigerant? Would a w204 ac compressor give out with low levels of refrigerant or insufficient lubrication?
Old 06-01-2017, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 241 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
I try and as factual as I can be on these forums, and this is one of those times when I say that I'm merely guessing as I'm going a bit out of my element here.

1) I don't believe there are any possible diagnosis that you can do yourself, short of maybe pulling a code from the OBD2 port - which I'm fairly certain will have no codes for this issue

2) There is no way to test whether or not there is indeed enough refrigerant.

If I were you, I'd go and visit an indy shop and have them take a look. AC systems are pretty much closed and there's not much anyone can do when these systems go awry, unfortunately.
The following users liked this post:
MaroBenz (07-20-2020)
Old 07-19-2020, 06:21 PM

2013 W204 C300
Originally Posted by Josh13
Yeah my guess is the compressor may be toast or the control valve on the compressor may have failed. Thanks for the clarification. I just found out the compressor uses a swatch plate, hence the variable valve ac compressor is always turning. Are there any possible diagnosis I can do myself before selling my soul to the stealership or an indy shop?

Maybe a test to measure levels of refrigerant? Would a w204 ac compressor give out with low levels of refrigerant or insufficient lubrication?
​​​​​​
Hey, did you ever find the issue or get it fixed? What was done? Same thing just happened to me, driving, hear a whistle/leaking noise and then no more AC. Any info would help.
Thanks.