C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

ABS Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
ABS Issues

Hello everyone!
I have a 2013 c300 4matic and I recently had to make an emergency stop and I noticed that instead of stopping smoothly it jerked some and i felt the brakes grabbing and starting to lock up. I thought it might have been because it hasn't been used in a long time or not at all, I tried it on an empty road later and found it was still grabbing and not working right. The car is still under warranty so I called and dropped it off at the dealership and from the initial reaction of the service guy i knew they were going to do nothing to fix it they called me a few days later and said that was normal for the car. So my question is where do I go from here? I think this should be covered under the warranty but the dealer doesn't want to fix it I know its not normal unless your cars do the same? Any help is appreciated!
Old 07-12-2017, 11:04 AM

Received 87 Likes on 84 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Are you sure it just wasn't the ABS doing its job? You mention it jerked? You mean like if one or more wheels locked up and the others did not? Did they stay locked or did they quickly release? Did the car stop in a straight line even with the jerking/grabbing? Did the brake pedal kind of pulsate? Unless you are getting a light or warning on or have been experiencing other brake issues I am guessing it was acting normal. Condition of the tires could affect it and also the conditions of the road as well, especially if, say, two wheels were on a gravel shoulder and two were on clean pavement. How the car would stop would feel completely different in those situations.

You don't mention any other issues with the car and with the little to go on I would lean to it is just the ABS doing its job. Hard to diagnose without being there. Maybe try taking it to a different dealer or an independent shop for some other opinions if you really feel something is wrong.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts
2013 C250 Sport
I've had to full on jam the brakes a couple times from being cut off and have experienced what I'd say was a slight lockup but the car never went into a skid. It was like an "almost skid".

This car's performance in an emergency situation or hard driving is quite impressive.