C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Headlight upgrade (C63 style)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C300 Sport 3.0L V6
Headlight upgrade (C63 style)

I can't find any solid answers. I currently have the headlights that have one regular housing and a projector housing. I would like to put in the c63 type headlight that has two projectors (idk if it is a high beam projector or just a halo ring, please enlighten me). The problem is not price but rather if they are compatible wiring wise. I know newer models (I have the pre facelift btw) have adaptive lights. I don't care for adaptive lights I just want the look. I have aftermarket HIDs installed will this make things harder or easier. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-02-2017, 03:23 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
2010 C350 Sport
Either the halogen or HID headlights for the pre-facelift have only one projector which is for the low beam. The high beam is a reflector.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:35 PM

2010 C350 Sport
I'm also not sure what you're looking for since the C63 headlights (either halogen or HID) are nearly the same as the Base and Sport with the only difference being the interior trim is black rather than chrome. You can easily paint this or have someone paint it for you. I painted my headlights myself.

From your post I'm presuming your car has the halogen lights, so if you install OEM HID headlights you will have to rewire things (there is a write-up on how to do that, I believe) otherwise you will get errors or non-functioning lights. Same goes for the adaptive headlights, installing those on a car without the ILS package will cause errors on the display.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:09 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
You can just do a projector retrofit for the high beams so you get the quad projector look. We have Morimoto projector retrofit kits if interested.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:54 PM

2011 C300 Sport 3.0L V6
Originally Posted by Shimee
I'm also not sure what you're looking for since the C63 headlights (either halogen or HID) are nearly the same as the Base and Sport with the only difference being the interior trim is black rather than chrome. You can easily paint this or have someone paint it for you. I painted my headlights myself.

From your post I'm presuming your car has the halogen lights, so if you install OEM HID headlights you will have to rewire things (there is a write-up on how to do that, I believe) otherwise you will get errors or non-functioning lights. Same goes for the adaptive headlights, installing those on a car without the ILS package will cause errors on the display.
The casings of the light imho just don't look as cheap. Also the high beam housing is smaller compared to the halogen. I've attached what I mean. I'll have to consider maybe doing a retrofit instead if my car will never be compatible for it or is there a way to make them compatible.
Attached Thumbnails Headlight upgrade (C63 style)-img_0345.png   Headlight upgrade (C63 style)-img_0344.png  

Last edited by Mgloznao; 08-02-2017 at 08:55 PM. Reason: More text
Old 08-02-2017, 09:06 PM

2011 C300 Sport 3.0L V6
Originally Posted by Shimee

Also I already have HIDs that are not OEM so essentially I just want the shell of the light. Can I bypass the OEM system because of this?
Old 08-03-2017, 02:08 PM

2010 C350 Sport
Your aftermarket kit is for an H7-based bulb so it would not work with the OEM projectors in the HID headlights because they use D1S bulbs. There are no conversion adapters for AMP (that's what aftermarket kits use) connectors to a D1S plug because D1S bulbs have the igniter built into the bulb. Aftermarket kits have the igniter inline before the bulb.

The point here is you would need a new kit that can connect to a D1S bulb properly. The only one that I know of is this: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/ba...-ballasts.html. But you would have a hole at the bottom of the headlight where the OEM ballast mounts to which no aftermarket ballast would cover.
The following users liked this post:
Mgloznao (08-03-2017)