C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

4 wheel Alignment vehicle level and Camber

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 E350; 1986 560SL
4 wheel Alignment vehicle level and Camber

I had a Alignment performed. Attached is the sheet. I have a few questions that (of course) the MB dealer service manager could not answer.

1. Front & Rear axle vehicle level ready for driving: Why are the numbers so low or off target? He said he had never seen numbers so bad, and he thinks the car must have been in an accident. When I pressed him on how he thinks this can corrected, he didn't know. He said the computer will tell them what to do.
There is a 4mm difference between front left/right. what would I do to fix this?

2. Front Camber. Right being way off then left. I have read all of the threads about the 0003330971 - Eccentric Camber Bolt Kit. I plan on installing it.
a. Why does the target data have 3 numbers and not the usual Setting# then the +/- numbers? ( -0*40' +0*16' -0*28' ) ?
b. The left reading is -0*35' . Is that close enough to the spec of -0*40' to leave it alone?

Thank you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
W204_Alignment2016.pdf (639.8 KB, 280 views)

Last edited by BigFish246; 11-19-2017 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Attachment picture
Old 11-20-2017, 11:56 AM

Received 101 Likes on 89 Posts
18 E63S
probably bad lower control arm bushings or bent strut housing.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:12 PM

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
First is the car lowered? Was this alignment done at a dealer? They may not have placed the Romess gauge on the right area of the drive train or suspension to correctly measure the vehicle's ride height. Also, over time the vehicle's springs can sag and cause vehicle ride height issues. Lastly, they might not even know how to do a correct alignment with the equipment they have..

There are too many human errors that can occur and your car might not have any ride height issues. As for the overall alignment, it looks like they probably didn't want to spend a few minutes adjusting the front caster and instead made they car pull left (or overcome road crown) by leaving the caster flat and letting the camber pull your car back to the left. Basically, they did a toe set, charged you for an alignment and didn't really help you much overall from the sounds of it.

This is another reason why I'm hoping to get some alignment equipment setup soon in my new shop.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:18 PM
SPONSOR

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
It is no wonder difficulty in obtaining an accurate alignment. Reality is a “Full front and Rear Wheel Alignment” is only adjusting Toe in or out – “directional” adjustment!

OEM there is no front Camber or Caster and no rear Camber to change tire contact angles allowing to fully resolve costly premature edge tire wear. Can try all one wants with Toe in or out but to take into account high cambered roads, curb knocks, altered height through load carrying, lowering, suspension sag….. to correctly resolve steering pull, full adjustment capability is essential.

You can fit (front only) a inaccurate one offset position bolt. But it only offers a minimal 1/8” (3mm) change.

We saw the need therefore to reinstate from the early 90’s full/precise adjustment. K-MAC patented design provides more than 3 times the above adjustment range and replaces the 4 front and rear highest wearing suspension bushings at the same time and with single wrench adjustment. Accurately on car (under load) – direct on alignment rack. No more ongoing trips to dealers or wheel alignment shops or constantly changing tire brands.

Front bushes are mono ball / 2 axis without the OEM oil and air voids. Result is noticeably improved brake and steering response. The rear kit to resolve premature inner edge tire wear adjusts lower arms (unlike upper camber arms that need to adjust top of tire outwards reducing all important clearance to outer fender). Also extra Toe adjustment is included to compensate for the new rear Camber facility.

Another popular product manufactured is set of ‘12’ bushings for the 6 ‘multi-link rear arms’. Designed to significantly improve rear end stability, reduce twitch/flex, gain traction – especially when applying power lane changing/overtaking. P/N 502628K $480.

While also for the front (coil spring models) replacement top strut mounts providing extra Camber and Caster adjustment from engine bay. Available in Stage 2 (Street/Race) or Stage 3 (Full Race). Providing up to extra 3 degrees negative Camber for track days in the pursuit of significantly reducing under-steer and gaining cornering and braking traction.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 240 Likes on 201 Posts
A car
After the dealer installed the camber? bolt I now get a green result across the board. Is that not sufficient?
Old 11-28-2017, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 E350; 1986 560SL
I have more information about this. I bought it as pre-owned from a MB dealer in 2015. No accident history on carfax, it was not lowered, and the dealer provided CPO warranty.
During the re-conditioning process prior to selling to me, the MB dealer performed 4 wheel alignment and installed the 2 adjustment bolts on right; part numbers 000-333-10-71; as per the attached service history. But I could not get the before and after alignment sheet.

But the car still pulled to the right after I bought it. The alignment sheet in the start of this thread is from another local MB dealer, since the MB dealer I bought it from is not local to me and not convenient to travel to.

What really upsets me is that the local MB dealer who just performed the alignment recommends to install bolt kit -- that already have been installed! They didn't check the bolts, and didn't check the repair history; which is all online for them.

I guess I need to install the bushings? Any other alternatives? I really hope it is not bent strut housing?