C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Six years, very little mileage, two water pumps!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 05:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C Class W204 2013
Six years, very little mileage, two water pumps!

Hello everyone,

First of all, may I take this opportunity to wish you a Happy New Year.

I own a Mercedes C 220 CDI Saloon SE (Classic,(953)), which I bought new and registered in 2012. The car is low mileage, with a total of around 16,000 km recorded last week, when it underwent its latest service.

In August 2015, I got a coolant level warning from the car, which I reported to the local authorised service centre, and was told that the water pump had to be replaced. Although I was very surprised with the fault (the car had only 9,500km approx. by then), and despite requesting the change to be carried out under warranty, I eventually accepted to pay for half of the cost of the part, and had it replaced.

Last week, I took the car for its annual service, and was told that the water pump is leaking and needs to be replaced!! I was also told that I would have to pay for half of the cost, once again. I highlighted to the service centre that, considering that the water pump had already been replaced in August 2015, the fault was beyond belief and at the very least deserved a more thorough investigation to see whether there could be an underlying cause beyond the quality of the water pump itself. Unfortunately, the service centre could not provide further assistance except for offering to replace the water pump at half the cost, which is still pending.

My questions:

1. How is it possible for the same fault to develop with the water pump after so little mileage? Unfortunately, the service centre couldn't give me any further detail about the fault, but there surely must be an underlying root cause of the problem, or some sort of structural issue that is somehow causing the fault repeatedly? Is there a known issue with the water pump on this particular model, for instance?

2. How can I be sure that the same fault will not manifest again in the near future, certainly on a vehicle of this calibre?

Many thanks for your assistance.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:41 AM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
2008 C350-Sport-AMG-Active Agility Pack + B170 2008+Mitsibishi+Mazda
My response:Sloppy workmanship, have the water sample analised and see what the result indicate about the type used and if correct type.
Was the waterpump replaced with an original part-?

Get all the paperwork from the dealer, and check what they had done since new, it should be all there.

Last edited by Moto_Guzzi; 01-11-2018 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:32 AM

C Class W204 2013
Originally Posted by Moto_Guzzi
My response:Sloppy workmanship, have the water sample analised and see what the result indicate about the type used and if correct type.
Was the waterpump replaced with an original part-?

Get all the paperwork from the dealer, and check what they had done since new, it should be all there.
Many thanks for your reply.

The part was was replaced with an original (allegedly) but I have no way to know for sure unless I get it inspected independently presumably.

I will try to get the paperwork from the dealer, as you suggest.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:56 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 C350 Sport
If the pump is leaking from the seal = workmanship issue
If the pump is leaking from the bearing = Poor quality part

SUX anyway you look at it. Mabe an independent shop may do the work for less than your 50%.

Give'em hell!
Old 01-11-2018, 12:16 PM

C Class W204 2013
Originally Posted by tommiett
If the pump is leaking from the seal = workmanship issue
If the pump is leaking from the bearing = Poor quality part

SUX anyway you look at it. Mabe an independent shop may do the work for less than your 50%.

Give'em hell!
Many thanks for your reply.

Anybody I speak to about this issue is very surprised, in the sense that one wouldn't expect a water pump to break after less than 10,000 kilometers, let alone a second time after another 6,000 kilometers. I can perhaps lead myself to understanding a poor quality part problem the first time (it's improbable but possible), but not the second time, not on a Mercedes car.

It's interesting that you mention where the leak is coming from, it's one thing that will have to be investigated because the service center did not provide details so I am unable to know. An independent inspection is the best route as you suggest.

Thanks again.