C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Updates to Comand

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 02:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C250
Updates to Comand

I searched the forum and could not find a definitive answer anywhere so hoping someone can help with updated information.

I have a '12 C250 with the Harmon Kardon system and NAV and I want to update my firmware so I can have the COMAND system to the 2013+ black/silver color from the ugly duckling yellow/brownish color. I also want access to the apps and COMAND online if possible. Does anyone know if this is possible? Most of the other threads I saw say it is possible and some dealers will do it, but most don't know how or won't do it for liability purposes. I'm out of warranty so I'm curious on the price if someone has had any luck. I'm unsure what firmware version I have (does anyone know how to find out? I think it's either NTG4 or NTG4.5). I bought my car used in '15 so I doubt it's ever been updated.

If someone has the ability and in the Northeast USA (I'm in Jersey), let me know I can drive to you (and pay you . Thanks!
Old 02-03-2018, 06:15 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
C204
Once, I read in a thread that there was a way to do it from the engineering menu on some later models. I do not remember exactly how but in an engineering menu, you could choose from both color options for the Command system. You won't be able to change the color scheme on the instrument cluster LCD, though.

Personally, I prefer the yellow/brown color scheme because it looks more stylish and calm to me.
Old 02-03-2018, 12:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C250
Originally Posted by dol4er
Once, I read in a thread that there was a way to do it from the engineering menu on some later models. I do not remember exactly how but in an engineering menu, you could choose from both color options for the Command system. You won't be able to change the color scheme on the instrument cluster LCD, though.

Personally, I prefer the yellow/brown color scheme because it looks more stylish and calm to me.
Yeah I did some homework and it appears that the ones you describe are NTG4.5 GEN 2 that have the option in the engineering menu. A lot of people don't know that NTG4.5 has TWO versions, NTG4.5 Gen 1 and Gen 2. Gen 2 rolled out somewhere around the very end of calendar year 2011 or possibly 2012 for MY2012 and up vehicles. My car was manufactured in late Sept/2011 as a MY 2012 so I must be the last of the Gen 1. I also do not have Mbrace. This all spells out why I don't have web access. According to the COMAND manual that I decided to crack open at 4AM, Mbrace is required in order to have internet access. When I navigate over to the last icon (the globe) on COMAND I'm not presented with a carousel or with any options at all, just Sirius XM and to call to activate it. There's no menu option for apps or for internet browsing.

But I'm still interested in updating though to rid the colors and hopefully pick up some more functionality along the way if possible.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 242 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
Originally Posted by dol4er

I've been through that menu several times and don't see that option. Yes, I have the Gen 2.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:28 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
C204
Well, then some have it, others don't.