C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Removal of ESL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK350 2012
Anyone in the Phoenix area to help with an ESL

My wife’s 2012 GLK350 won’t start after inserting the key. Read and watched many videos and went to talk to the MB dealer ship and they said it’s 99% the ESL.

Want to see if there is anyone in the Phoenix area that can help me out. Want to see if this is something I can get done this weekend before I mail out the EIS and ESL out to San Diego. I have pulled the EIS and ESL out.

Last edited by Fernando Varela; 03-02-2018 at 07:34 PM. Reason: To be more discriptive.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:22 PM
IGB

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
'08 C300 MM Pano
Originally Posted by Fernando Varela
My wife’s 2012 GLK350 won’t start...

Wrong subforum....
My wife’s 2012 GLK350 won’t start after inserting the key. Read and watched many videos and went to talk to the MB dealer ship and they said it’s 99% the ESL.
I am not sure how anyone could tell you "it is 99% ESL" without reading fault codes and/or testing both ES & EIS...

Want to see if there is anyone in the Phoenix area that can help me out. Want to see if this is something I can get done this weekend before I mail out the EIS and ESL out to San Diego. I have pulled the EIS and ESL out.
If you've pulled EIS & ESL out and are shipping them to San Diego (which I would caution against for several reasons but it is your choice), what do you need help with? Assuming you are sending to San Diego to repair or (more than likely) tell you "they are defective and need to be replaced but he recommends an emulator", they should reprogram them for you and return them ready for plug-and-play... Leaving you with re-installation which is the reverse of removal.

Good luck!
Old 03-03-2018, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK350 2012
Originally Posted by IGB
Wrong subforum....

I am not sure how anyone could tell you "it is 99% ESL" without reading fault codes and/or testing both ES & EIS...

If you've pulled EIS & ESL out and are shipping them to San Diego (which I would caution against for several reasons but it is your choice), what do you need help with? Assuming you are sending to San Diego to repair or (more than likely) tell you "they are defective and need to be replaced but he recommends an emulator", they should reprogram them for you and return them ready for plug-and-play... Leaving you with re-installation which is the reverse of removal.

Good luck!
I have read around and watched multiple videos and which leads me to believe it’s the ESL. It’s a shot in the dark and hopefully it works out. We have checked all the fuses and the battery is good. I pulled both the ESL and EIS out snd was hoping that someone in the Phoenix area could help me out so with either testing them or replacing the motor if that’s the case. I don’t want to have to send them out to a different location probably for the same reason as you but if I can’t find any anyone local I’m kind off left with no choice. I have called multiple repair shops here and they all tell me that you can’t repair them and it needs to be replaced. Which I know it’s not true from the forums I have read. MB also told me that I shouldn’t attempt it cause it’s a very complicated process which it isn’t. I’m a retired jet mechanic and I know there is a difference between replacing a component verses fixing it. I want to fix it. The location I would send the ESL to get looked at is a location that I found on a previous post. One is in San Diego and the other in Los Angeles.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:06 PM
IGB

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
'08 C300 MM Pano

I have read around and watched multiple videos and which leads me to believe it’s the ESL. It’s a shot in the dark and hopefully it works out. We have checked all the fuses and the battery is good. I pulled both the ESL and EIS out snd was hoping that someone in the Phoenix area could help me out so with either testing them or replacing the motor if that’s the case. I don’t want to have to send them out to a different location probably for the same reason as you but if I can’t find any anyone local I’m kind off left with no choice. I have called multiple repair shops here and they all tell me that you can’t repair them and it needs to be replaced. Which I know it’s not true from the forums I have read. MB also told me that I shouldn’t attempt it cause it’s a very complicated process which it isn’t. I’m a retired jet mechanic and I know there is a difference between replacing a component verses fixing it. I want to fix it. The location I would send the ESL to get looked at is a location that I found on a previous post. One is in San Diego and the other in Los Angeles.
Have you done this?

I am curious what symptoms your vehicle shows as you try to start it... There may be some way to determine if it is indeed an ESL issue if you describe the symptoms.

Also, and although I know they won't do this in California, I assume you can "borrow" (you actually buy it and return it within 90 days for a full refund under AutoZone's tool loaner program) a code reader from Autozone and use it to read fault codes. I have not tried one to determine whether the brand AutoZone carries will read those type fault codes but it is worth the try.