C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Steering wheel feeling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 09:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E46 ZSP 5spd
Steering wheel feeling

Hi folks. I was thinking about asking the community to address their experiences with the steering wheel feeling in the w204.

I have been driving and DIYing an E46 ZSP (factory lowered on 17inch wheels) for 8 years now and I am finding myself attracted to the W204 (facelif). This weekend I drove a C300 4 matic Sport Sedan in the rain and was perplexed about the steering wheel feeling. I felt detached from the road a bit, another way to put it, is that it did not feel heavy. At higher speeds in a slightly aggressive/gentle curve, the steering input became too sensitive and I didn't like the car cutting into the curve almost too sharply. Here is the car I drove.

Clearly I am a newb at MB and didn't even know about the Eco/Sport switch on the gear selector (not that the salesman cared to tell me either). Could that have made a difference or is this knob only power related (does it remap the accelerator pedal)? Does it alter steering wheel feeling or suspension?

I guess all of this takes getting used to and it could just be that I am used to my bimmer and I like the feeling, the weight, the touch of the wheel on that car.

Could those who may have driving similar cars discuss this with me. Am I nuts, or the only one who feels this way? I think this is an important point in my decision making to purchase a w204.

Last edited by OLI77; 04-24-2018 at 09:23 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 04-24-2018, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts
2013 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by OLI77
Hi folks. I was thinking about asking the community to address their experiences with the steering wheel feeling in the w204.

I have been driving and DIYing an E46 ZSP (factory lowered on 17inch wheels) for 8 years now and I am finding myself attracted to the W204 (facelif). This weekend I drove a C300 4 matic Sport Sedan in the rain and was perplexed about the steering wheel feeling. I felt detached from the road a bit, another way to put it, is that it did not feel heavy. At higher speeds in a slightly aggressive/gentle curve, the steering input became too sensitive and I didn't like the car cutting into the curve almost too sharply. Here is the car I drove.

Clearly I am a newb at MB and didn't even know about the Eco/Sport switch on the gear selector (not that the salesman cared to tell me either). Could that have made a difference or is this knob only power related (does it remap the accelerator pedal)? Does it alter steering wheel feeling or suspension?

I guess all of this takes getting used to and it could just be that I am used to my bimmer and I like the feeling, the weight, the touch of the wheel on that car.

Could those who may have driving similar cars discuss this with me. Am I nuts, or the only one who feels this way? I think this is an important point in my decision making to purchase a w204.
What you are feeling is normal. Mercs tend to have a light, super sensitive feel. OMG, when my kids were learning to drive it was horrible! Combine that with the throttle delay and you are in for some fun. The latest gen C-Class cars are a little heavier feeling in the wheel (while feeling lighter in handling) and have adjustable steering modes.

You can actually learn to like it. You can whip the car around with incredible ease. The time or two I was cut off I had changed lanes before I knew what happened. But I'm in a car with a heavier feel now and I'm enjoying that too.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 540 Likes on 477 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
Weird...my steering is a bit on the mid/touch of heavy side, not nearly as much as a 3 series though.

Drive a Kia or something and it's impossible to drive with all that super sensitive steering lol.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:53 AM

E46 ZSP 5spd
Yes, well there you have it, 2 answers, and in opposite direction!
Thank you both for providing data on your experience with the vehicles.
I suppose we all feel things differently and the different trim levels or packages also contribute to the differences. I also read recently on this forum about the AAC package (Adaptive agility control- not sure I got this right).

Does that make a big difference?

Still, I must ask again. Does the Sport button near the gear lever change the dynamics of the suspension and throttle as well as the steering wheel?
Old 04-25-2018, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

As far as I know, it should be shifting rpms (holds gears longer), uses first gear (normally starts with second) and perhaps a little throttle response. With the facelift models (2013+) it could add a bit more but nothing with suspension/steering.

AAC is a cool but rare package. Helps with handling, idk too much.

If you're buying 2013+ try to find ones with lighting package (Led/Hids)

Throw wider rear tires on that bad boy and it handles awesome (4matics can handle staggered; ex. I'm running 235/265)

Like I said kinda would doubt it would handle like your other car but it's good in it's own way, it has its own advantages.

This car you drove has the facelift style body (12+) and interior, but engine and transmission are the same as the pre-facelift. 13+ have new direct injection engines /updated trans with a bit more hp, but if you don't like DI engines you may want to avoid. With a tune though, they make at least 330hp.

Last edited by Adi-Benz; 04-25-2018 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:48 PM

E46 ZSP 5spd
Thanks Adi, that is good info. I was aware of the 2012 + facelift on the body but not of the 2013 + on the engine and transmission.
Need to read some more I guess.
I am also thinking about the 350 over the 300. Assume the wheel feel is the same between the 2?
Old 04-25-2018, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The old engines the c300 is a 3.0 with 228hp and the c350 is a 3.5 with around 250.

New so engines are same 3.5 but downtuned for c300, so with a tune it gets the same gain/end horsepower as c350.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:33 AM

E46 ZSP 5spd
Bumping this out there again to see if more people could chine in. So far one person says feeling is light, another says mid to heavy. That is a bit light to make a judgment call (pun intended).
Sure this is a very subjective question but still would love to hear some more thoughts.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well really the best way to do it would just to be go out and test more, even if they are outside of price range or other options just to get a feeling of it.

As well as testing one with the new engine - have you tried that yet as well?

Also mod market prolly isn't as big as E46 if you're going that route however there's enough to make it badass :]
Old 05-03-2018, 12:16 PM

Received 87 Likes on 84 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
I am guessing that if the cars were reversed and you were driving the Mercedes daily for a while and them jumped into your present car you would think the steering was really heavy. You just get used to what you are driving.

When I first got my present car I thought the steering felt lighter than I would prefer. Previous car was a Jaguar X-Type with the sport package and 18" wheels. Now today the steering feels nicely weighted to me, although I would still prefer it to have a heavier feel to it. I have never felt it was too sensitive or twicthy though.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I also have wider tires now, so that might have added some weight to the steering. Otherwise I think it has really good feeling, and it handles pretty well.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:29 PM

E46 ZSP 5spd
Originally Posted by Adi-Benz
Well really the best way to do it would just to be go out and test more, even if they are outside of price range or other options just to get a feeling of it.

As well as testing one with the new engine - have you tried that yet as well?

Also mod market prolly isn't as big as E46 if you're going that route however there's enough to make it badass :]
Not into moding, more into DIYing. Only "mod" is a strut bar on the E46.

You are absolutely correct, I am setting up to drive more soon. That's the only way to decide.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:31 PM

E46 ZSP 5spd
Originally Posted by Alfadude
I am guessing that if the cars were reversed and you were driving the Mercedes daily for a while and them jumped into your present car you would think the steering was really heavy. You just get used to what you are driving.

When I first got my present car I thought the steering felt lighter than I would prefer. Previous car was a Jaguar X-Type with the sport package and 18" wheels. Now today the steering feels nicely weighted to me, although I would still prefer it to have a heavier feel to it. I have never felt it was too sensitive or twicthy though.
Agree. I can adapt for sure. Thanks for your comments on feel.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:53 PM

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
'08 C300 4Matic Sport / '11 C63
Adding a bit to what Adi said, I have noticed already that for steering wheel, size of tires/wheels does impact a lot. With the stock 17's I felt the steering on my W204 was middle weight so to speak, but just going to 18's for rims especially at say 90mph or above it is super twitchy now. It has more of an airy feeling if that makes sense and it does lack a bit of the roads feedback. I've learned with the size up in wheels it has completely changed how the car feels. Though it did in a good way not a bad way.

I did go to different tires as well so the feeling may be a bit mixed due to 2 switches at once so I can't isolate the exact percentage that each item may have had. Still feels good and confident in a line through a turn but I noticed it's easier to over steer now. Compared to say my W202 the steering is lighter for sure so I wouldn't ever say it feels heavy for the w204. The key is once you get used to it the w204 does have a nice feeling to the steering wheel that is easy to do city driving with but when you get out to some country roads you still can feel confident pushing it without it feeling too sensitive. But that's just my humble opinion.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by catmandoob
With the stock 17's I felt the steering on my W204 was middle weight so to speak, but just going to 18's for rims especially at say 90mph or above it is super twitchy now. It has more of an airy feeling if that makes sense and it does lack a bit of the roads feedback. I've learned with the size up in wheels it has completely changed how the car feels. Though it did in a good way not a bad way.
I am just curious, because in the other thread we went over your sizes and whatever - by twitchy do you mean more sensitive?

​​​​​Were your stock widths the same (225/255) or different? My oem were 225/245 and I went 235/265 as mentioned, and I got lots more feedback (in a good way - ride quality was the same, maybe even a bit better shockingly even though I went from 17s to 19s) as well as the car feels more planted. The grip with the DWS06 feels impeccable paired with the 4matic and the steering did get a tiny bit heavier, but it seems different for you even though you got better tires?
Old 05-03-2018, 09:57 PM

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
'08 C300 4Matic Sport / '11 C63
I am just curious, because in the other thread we went over your sizes and whatever - by twitchy do you mean more sensitive?

​​​​​Were your stock widths the same (225/255) or different? My oem were 225/245 and I went 235/265 as mentioned, and I got lots more feedback (in a good way - ride quality was the same, maybe even a bit better shockingly even though I went from 17s to 19s) as well as the car feels more planted. The grip with the DWS06 feels impeccable paired with the 4matic and the steering did get a tiny bit heavier, but it seems different for you even though you got better tires?
Answer to first question is yes. Also my stock widths were same as yours, 225/245, I wasn't sure how the look would be but most recommended 225/255 for 18's on w204 so I went with it. I have to say I interpret it as less feedback, granted I'm still in tire break in period. I had a couple moments where I was driving like normal and I felt the rear take a sudden turn from me over steering suddenly, which honestly is probably due to the increased sensitivity/twitchiness I mentioned.

Keep in mind nothing in a bad way, more sensitive response due to less sidewall flex makes a huge difference as well as losing a good few pounds of unsprung weight for each corner. And I can't cut the Cooper RS3-G1's short, they handle great, wear a bit fast but honestly they aren't a crap tire. My conti's are made in portugal and grip wise I can't even drive my normal speed yet out my road, maybe that's due to me knowing every flex from the G1's vs DWS06's.

I'm also noticing the opposite, I feel less planted to the ground, I'm chalking that up to slight ride height increase and needing to lower it to compensate.

I'll feel better after another 100 miles or so on the tires to get them sorted and will see how they stick. I'm heading to NYC Sunday so that trip will for sure let em re-learn so to speak the feel haha.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:39 AM

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
Factory ordered 2012 MB C350 w/Dynamic Handling Package
Originally Posted by OLI77
Does the Sport button near the gear lever change the dynamics of the suspension and throttle as well as the steering wheel?
No it does not.
If you do not have the "AAC package" or in my case was called "Dynamic Handling" package, the button will simply change how/when the gears are shifted (example start in 1st or 2nd) from a stop.
If you DO have the "AAC package" or in my case was called "Dynamic Handling" package, the button changes the car to "M" mode, and turns the car to manual mode where you have to use the paddle shifters to change gears (but it will auto-downshift for you to avoid stalling the car if your RPM's drop too low).

If you DO have the "AAC package" or in my case was called "Dynamic Handling" package, you get an additional "SPORT" mode button next to the hazard light switch which WILL...
  • change the suspension (stiffer).
  • change the steering feel (less assist).
  • changes how/when the transmission shifts (similarly to how non-ACC package equipped cars behave when you press the "sport/eco" button next to their gear shift lever).
Does it make a big difference? Short answer is YES.
WIll I buy it again if I have to redo my purchase? YES

Keep in mind this feature is rare, as it is not a standard feature in north American models. I was able to get it because I factory ordered my car but had to wait 8/9 months for delivery.
The following users liked this post:
OLI77 (05-04-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 10:54 AM

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
Factory ordered 2012 MB C350 w/Dynamic Handling Package
...and just in case you are wondering...(your next logical question may be this)...

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...-handling.html
Old 05-04-2018, 11:46 AM

E46 ZSP 5spd
Thanks Ed, excellent info and total win with that link. I am sure it will be hard to find indeed. Heck, I might have to drive 200 miles to go test drive a 350.
You bet I will be looking under the hood for that little black box near the strut mounts!
Old 05-05-2018, 05:34 PM

E46 ZSP 5spd
Go figure! So I drive another C300 4matic 5oday. Get in, turn off ECO, push the switch to S on dash.
Steering wheel feeling was fine, mighty fine, heavy and tight and no complaints!

Am I focusing more on it and that's why I liked it?
The car I drove a couple of weeks back was a 2012, that could not have made a difference, could it? Thought the 2012-2014 w204 were the same across that time span.

Last edited by OLI77; 05-05-2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-05-2018, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There could be lots of factors which could be the cause really. Keep in mind late 2012 to 2014 are the same, 2008 to early 2012 are the same.

The first one you drove was an early 2012. However, between the facelift and pre-facelift I don't think there would be any steering difference.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:36 AM

Received 87 Likes on 84 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Plus, you mentioned the first one you drove was in the rain. If it had worn tires that could have caused what you were feeling compared to the second one you drove on a dry day and especially if it had a good set of tires.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:03 AM

E46 ZSP 5spd
Yes but I should have mentioned (my bad) that the second was also in the rain.

Thanks Adi. Mid vs early 2012 might have made a difference. But hallelujah on the non-ECO and S mode testdrive!

Also drove a 2014 CLA250 4matic, dang thing is a pretty nervous little beast. Steering was again, on the lighter side.
Old 05-06-2018, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yea cla250's aren't really up to the quality of the other benzes...they're not terrible but it seems like the w204's are much more solid. Cla45, well, I guess is a bit different because of performance.

They do have that new interior which is good and bad really. A fully optioned one is ok but lower sucks.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:57 PM

Received 101 Likes on 89 Posts
18 E63S
Yea cla250's aren't really up to the quality of the other benzes...they're not terrible but it seems like the w204's are much more solid. Cla45, well, I guess is a bit different because of performance.

They do have that new interior which is good and bad really. A fully optioned one is ok but lower sucks.
had a cla 45 had it for 3 yrs before upgraded to my c63s.
I absolutely had zero problems and zero creeks and rattles.
handled like dream. fantastic car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel feeling