C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Harmonic Vibration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 08:42 PM

Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts
2008 C350 Sport 4Matic Swap
Harmonic Vibration

So ever since I replaced my front brakes with Zimmerman rotors and OEM Mercedes pads, I've had this very annoying and loud humming noise after a long drive. My guess is once all the metals are hot, something is expanding causing this "harmonic vibration" noise. I resurfaced the rotors since they were still very thick and was told by a qualified mechanic that they machined great and I don't hjave any vibrations from them other then this strange noise.

Here is a video of what the noise sounds like, unfortunately my problem is the opposite, the noise starts when I turn at slow speeds and sometime can last 4-5 seconds. It instantly stops when I apply the brakes but it also sometimes continues when going in a straight line (Slow speeds only).

I have checked everything and this is so intermittent that I am loosing my mind over it. Sometimes it wont do it for a week and then it will start again. Usually its after a long drive which means something is expanding and causing this noise..

Any thoughts ?