C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

2013 C250 Misfire issues - Need advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C250
2013 C250 Misfire issues - Need advice

Hi Everyone -

I am experiencing a headache of an issue with my 2013 C250 w/ M271 Evo. I purchased the car Pre-Owned at a Mercedes Benz dealer with 60,000 miles on the clock, I also purchased a (Fidelity Extended Warranty for an extra 3K).

Around 71,000 Miles I experienced a misfire on cylinder 1 which my advisor told me the spark plugs were not replaced previously so they charged me $600 to replace all 4 spark plugs... which my warranty didn't cover. a few weeks later boom, Check engine light again.. P0301 Cylinder 1 misfire (again) Please keep in mind that every single time the car misfires and the check engine goes off has been ONLY during cold start. I took it back and my advisor calls and says me back after the car staying in the service department 3 weeks "I think" you should do the coil on cylinder 1... $384 please?.. LOL. By this time I'm already pissed off and I called the service manager to let him know that they need to properly diagnose my car since according to them they hire ONLY Mercedes Benz Techs that attend a special school LOL. He gave me a small discount and charged me $184 to do the coil on Cylinder 1.. I receive the car back, 4 weeks later Boom! P0301 on Cold start (Again) By this time I am furious... I take the car back drop it off and tell them that I WILL NOT PAY A SINGLE PENNY MORE. Take care of the issue and if it means replacing the head so be it, I have warranty! and call me when you properly figure it out. 5 weeks go by.... My advisor calls me back and says the car is ready. I get there and he says "We replaced cylinder 1 Fuel injector." Great! this fixes the issue on cylinder one.

4 weeks later... Boom. Cold start (Cylinder 2 Misfire) I return the car to them, 3 weeks go by the car is still in the service department... My advisor calls and says that the Tech cannot find the misfire and that the car is not misfiring.. Which is true. The car only misfires on cold start. It runs perfectly fine warmed up.. The main tech then sends me an email asking me about what type of gas am I using? I tell them exactly as it is. 91 Shell or Chevron ONLY. 2 days later my advisor calls and says he emailed me and that I need to replace the remaining 3 Fuel injectors since according to him the misfire is now present on cylinder 4 as well $2,300 please??? I was like wait! didn't you just tell me you guys weren't able to find anything and out of the blue we have a misfire on cylinder 2 and NOW... Cylinder 4.. LOL! At this point I am furious and I literally told him that I feel he is doing service fraud and I told his manager as well. Then the manager calls and says he can do the job for $1,600.

I drove to the MB Dealership that I bought it from and they asked me to go and take the car out of that dealership that it was at and that something is not adding up.... I go and pick up my car at the other dealer and I told the manager and advisor screw you and your $1,600 and they erased the codes.. I bring it to the original dealership I purchased it from and they said they can't do anything since they erased the codes, Thankfully the manager was nice and offered to send out a loaner to me as soon as the light came back on. So I drove off... almost 2 months later with absolutely no issues Boom! this morning I went to start my car... Check engine light.. (Cylinder 2 Misfire and Cylinder 4).

I would like everyones opinion as to what is going on with my car... I will be honest with everyone I am terrified of the service advisors now since I don't know what they will so or if they will just lie to me.. I miss my reliable good car and would like to have it in great condition again. I have an appointment to drop off the car at the service department at the dealership I purchased it from and if there is anything you guys know that I should mention to them (aside from everything that has happened) please feel free to let me know what you would recommend.

Thank you so much for your responses, I appreciate them.

Extra notes on my car -
All services are up to date on my car. Compression tests and leak down test are all normal as well. Car runs perfectly fine warmed up. I am aware of the timing chain issues with these cars and I do sometimes hear the chain for about 2 second at start up, does not happen every time. About 2-3 times a month.

Last edited by MB424; 06-30-2018 at 10:39 PM.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:16 AM

Received 232 Likes on 160 Posts
W203 W212 W211 R53MCS
It is a common issue for direct injection high pressure fuel injectors to leak. It is an issue for all manufacturers. So once you park the car overnight and that one injector leaks down it will not fire in the morning. It will clear up right away after start up due to the fact that whatever fuel leaked out is now burnt off. I am telling you.... a dealership can have 30 techs but a handful can tackle diagnostics. The rest are there for the "A" and "B" services. Yes, the first thing I would have done is check the plugs, if they were dirty or had any build up they get replaced. The second time is when a real tech steps in. I would have sold my customer all 4 injectors............... only after I had verified the engine was healthy by doing a compression test and a cylinder leak down test.
The following users liked this post:
ezshift5 (07-07-2018)
Old 02-12-2019, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C250 CGI Coupe w204
Hello.
I have the same problem on my 2012 C250 CGI. Was yours fixed, if yes what was the problem?

Thanks