C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

c250 Stutters When Turbo starts to engage

Old 07-01-2018, 09:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
c250
c250 Stutters When Turbo starts to engage

hi everyone,

I am new to this forum. I found it when trying to research what could be possibly wrong with my C250. I have used the search function to look for similar issues before posting but didnt find anything definitive or really similar so I thought i'd ask the group.

Vehicle:
2013 Mbenz C250 - 85,000 miles. All services have been performed at recommended intervals.

Issue:

This issue started yesterday without warning. I was merging onto the interstate and accelerated as usual. Granted the traffic was heavy so I rolled into the throttle to where the turbo normally kicks in for better acceleration. When the RPM range came up in 3rd gear to where the turbo would start to engage the car stuttered and shook. I backed off the throttle and the motor smoothed out again. I was able to get into traffic and made it home with no more issues. However, I never pushed the car up to the range for the turbo to engage either.

Last night, I was going to dinner and once again rolled into the throttle to accelerate into traffic. The car did the same as before but this time, the engine light came on and the motor lost power completely. the motor shook like it was running on 3 cylinders. I limped the car back home. I shut it off then restarted. check engine light was gone and the car idled smoothly. I have not driven it since due to not knowing whats going on.

This is the first turbo motor I've owned so I might be overly cautious. I've had cars in the past start to shutter or idle rough and 90% it was the MAF sensor. I've never had one run smoothly then go out of whack at higher RPMs so not sure if this is MAF issue or not. I'm praying, of course, that it is NOT related to the turbo but I have no experience to draw upon. I have checked the ODBII computer with my meter but no codes are showing. The check engine light is off. Also, I did look up parts for MAF and i find two different parts which is odd to me. Does this car have two MAF sensors? Where would they be located?

Does anyone have any tips or ideas as to what this might be? Thanks in advance.

Nathan
The following users liked this post:
Rf12790 (05-08-2020)
Old 07-01-2018, 07:52 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2010 c250 cgi, 2001 Porsche Boxster S
You might first do some easy checks for vacuum or air leaks - check air filter, air hose fittings are tight between air filter and turbo, check for splits or damage to the pcv breather hose, esp the short section attached to the turbo intake pipe. Check hoses to and from the intercooler are connected and not damaged.
After that, could be a range of things, odd there wasn't a code stored when the check engine light came on though - that would help to narrow it down.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C250
Issue resolved?

Did you ever receive an answer to what was causing the stuttering on hard acceleration? I am having the same issue with my c250. Hoping to diagnose the problem! Thanks!