C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Rear lights and parktronic problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C 220 CDI
Question Rear lights and parktronic problem

I just bought a second hand C 220 CDI estate, automatic transmission, from 2010 (s204) which has a combination of problems:

Rear lights on the left side are considerably weaker than on the right side. The reason seems to be a corroded grounding pin on the light unit. Plastic has partly melted on the connector. The same has apparently happened on the right side before, and this has been repaired with an extra grounding cable. I understand that this is a known issue with these models.

The rear parktronic is not working. I only get a beep and 2 red lights on the indicator when transmission is in reverse. Front parktronic is ok.

The right hand side reverse light is not working. Notification/warning showing up in the dashboard. The reason is not the bulb. This problem has been intermittent according to the previous owner, but seems to be constant now.

Is there any way to check if these problems could be related? For instance caused by a confused/defective SAM unit? I just ordered a diagnostic tool (iCarsoft MB II) which can access most systems in the car. What should I look for in order to sort out what is causing the problems?
The reason for the weak left light is quite obvious, so I am mainly thinking about the missing rear reverse light and the defective parktronic.