C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

[help] Audio/Media Interface issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 12:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C300 4MATIC Luxury
Unhappy [help] Audio/Media Interface issue

Hi all,

I've got no sound. Apparently my Media Interface Control module, or Communication Control Model - I've seen it called different things - is dead. (Part # is 172 900 93 02)
These are my options:

$270 - Disconnect COMMAND, have at least the audio speakers/bluetooth/radio work again, but w/ no display or steering wheel controls
OR
$1400 - Part + Labor for replacing the faulty module. (They say the part is the most of it, labor would be ~$300)

I got the module on eBay w/ lifetime warranty for $70. I think I can replace it myself if I find a DIY guide, but I don't know if I would need the STAR system to configure it.
I am thinking about having them do the disconnection so that I at least get the audio back until I come up with a solution, unless I find a DIY guide. But I'm also worried about reconnecting it later and installing the part, again regarding the possible requirement of a STAR tool/system to make it work. Can anyone shed some light on this?

I'm also considering aftermarket upgrade options (w/ nav, apple carplay, gps etc), but I assume I'd still need the module part. MB of course won't do used or aftermarket parts.

Thank you