C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Fixed command dial today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 06:02 PM

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2007 cls550
Fixed command dial today

Ordered the metal replacement shaft and watched the video diy. Very easy and exactly like video. This was a 08 C350.

Tips
- snapping off the trim around gear selector was a little freaky. Must use plastic trim wedge and it takes a lot of force to come off but it does.
- when you get everything off and have the assembly loose do not pull hard on the ribbon cable. It is very easy to break. You have to cut it anyways because of how the thing is routed so cut it and work gently to pull out excess before pulling on the dial to get it out. Otherwise you will snap it near the dial and have to solder twice.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:20 PM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
2010 C350 Sport
You don't need to cut the ribbon cable if you pull out the cup holder. It's not difficult, half the work is done once you get to the COMAND knob screw the other half are two screws underneath the rear vent which simply pries upwards. Then the cupholder unit slides up to be removed. At that point you can reroute the ribbon cable through the hole in front of so next time the cupholder unit doesn't need to be removed to remove the knob.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:37 AM

2007 cls550
Hmmm. I have a 2008 C350. I am trying to go by memory here and my car was a little bit different from the video. I don’t have the sliding cover.

Anyway, I am trying to grasp the cupholder removal and impact on cable. I removed the cupholder surround and after removing the front screw in command knob I could see the cable through the hole.

My point was that pulling up on the knob assembly needs to be gently. You need to pull excess as it is pinched from under the console. I wish that I had taken a pic but it was the same in the video where the guy cut the cable.

I am trying to understand how the complete cupholder removal would change this. Hmmm.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:11 PM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
2010 C350 Sport
Which video are you referring to? There is no link in your original post.

The ribbon cable of the COMAND knob in my car was pinched underneath the cupholder in my car when I had to remove it. If you look at the area just in front of the knob, there is a hole in the cup holder unit that is just the right size for the plug to fit through. I don't know why the ribbon cable wasn't routed through there.

When I removed the cupholder unit - it comes out in one big piece with the armrest and storage - I was able to remove the ribbon cable without cutting it.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:07 PM

2007 cls550
Google w204 command knob and there will be a 13min video. Cool Australian dude. Very helpful.

I see what you mean but mine has the cupholders on the right side and ribbon and hole are on left. If the ribbon went through the hole instead of being pinched under the freakin console then it could easily be pulled through.

For anyone doing this it will be obvious once you get there. Just be careful with pulling on the ribbon. Don’t force it. Gently move it around until you have freed up enough slack to pull out the command knob assembly. Then keep working and see if you need to cut the ribbon or not to get the rest of it out. It is easy to solder it back together and routing it properly on reinstall is a piece of cake.
The following users liked this post:
Colin G (08-15-2018)