C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Feedback / Suggestions: Replacing and reinforcing interior door handle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 03:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2010 C300 4MATIC
Feedback / Suggestions: Replacing and reinforcing interior door handle

Hi,

As always when something breaks on my Mercedes I always turn to this forum for the wealth of available information. That said, after replacing my front passenger interior door handle with one from iE Works I would like to contribute by sharing some feedback/suggestions:

1. Search YouTube for a proper w204 door panel removal video
2. The replacement part by iE Works is lighter and feels cheaper than the original Mercedes OEM interior door handle, which implies that there is a higher risk of the door handle breaking again
3. Use a chisel (and tap the back of the chisel with pliers) to remove the heads of the marked plastic tabs instead of using cutting pliers; resulting, in a cleaner removal of the marked plastic tabs making it easier to set the screws in place. Be careful when installing the screws, initially SLOWLY use a power drill to set the screw and then tighten by hand with a screw driver to prevent stripping.
4. To prevent the door handle from breaking again I wrapped 12 gauge copper wire around the piece that is most stressed (TO SET THE WIRE DO NOT WRAP AROUND THE DOOR HANDLE PIECE FIRST, USE NEEDLE NOSE PLIERS TO SET THE WIRE) when opening the door and wrapped electrical tape around it (see pictures below). After heating a screw driver burn a hole through the electrical tape so to allow the door cable wire pin to set in place.
5. Set aside at least 2.5 hours for this project

Thank you all!

Old 08-26-2018, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 241 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
What do ya do to your door handles man?!