C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Advice on 2013 C300 Misfires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
Question Advice on 2013 C300 Misfires

I bought my 2013 C300 CPO in January 2016 with 29k miles and new rear tires. I've done all recommended maintenances done at the dealership.
A week after buying the car I noticed it shaking when breaking. The dealer said the front disk breaks were warped. They did replace them free of charge, but advised that was as a courtesy.
In March of 2017 I had to replace all four tires.
In March 2018 with 62k miles the car was stuttering, long cranks and losing power. An obd2 app shower misfires on cylinders 5 and 6. Took it to the dealer, but their test didn't show anything and the car ran fine. Dealer said if it happened again they would swap the coils to see if that was the problem since the spark plugs were new. I would have to pay for that.
A couple days later it happened again, but this time my tool showed misfires on 1, 2 and 3. They kept the car for several days and replaced fuel injectors. The car ran fine for about a month after that.
It now has close to 70000 miles and started to stutter again. My tool shows cylinders 1 and 3. Took it to the dealer again and seven days later and more injectors replaced they tell me it was the fuel. I normally use E85, which is fine according to the manual and gas cap. They said it had water in the gas tank and that I should use premium instead. They agree that E85 should be fine, but said that it may be old fuel sitting in the gas stations because of low use.
The car is running fine, fuel light is on so I filled up with premium. 6 miles later it is stuttering again with the engine light is on. My tool shows cylinder 2 misfire. I drive back to the dealer where they are still testing it, but said it has been running fine since I dropped it off.
So what do you think about this history? Is it typical for a Mercedes with 70k miles to have so many issues? This is my first MB and I was not expecting so many problems.
My primary concern is the CPO is expiring in October. I feel that I need to get rid of this car, likely at a loss, to avoid future similar costly issues. Is that an overreaction, should the car be fine if I stop using E85?
Old 08-29-2018, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 240 Likes on 201 Posts
A car
I think I already know the cause of this.

I bet you anything it's carbon buildup on the intake valves. And HOLY MOLY for the love of all that is holy, avoid E85!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's one of the worst things you can put into a car with direct injection. I'm happy to explain further, but if you will accept that at face value, start there. If not, I guess I'll write more on this topic.
The following 2 users liked this post by superangrypenguin:
MelloLR (08-29-2018), xsever (08-29-2018)