C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

2014 W204 backup camera connection.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2018 | 08:45 PM

2014 c300 4matic sport
2014 W204 backup camera connection.

NEW TO THE FORUM.
I'm in need of help, bought a camera for my 2014 c300, have already mounted to the back of the car and ran wires to the radio. But the radio doesn't have rca input. I've seen some older models you can adapt the rca cable with a fakra cable; and bought one. But the fakra connector is too big. Plus, I'm not 100% where I should connect it. I was really expecting to find a female rca end. Can you guys tell me what adaptor I need and were to connect it?
Thanks.
Old 09-24-2018 | 09:08 PM

2011 C300 Sport, P1, MM, Wood, Heated FS, DIY rearview camera. 2002 QX4
Originally Posted by cyat
But the fakra connector is too big.
Do you mean the Fakra connector on the cable is too big, or Fakra connector on the head unit is too big?
Mine is 2011, when I tried plugging the Fakra connectorized cable into the head unit, the cable connector is right next to another similar connector on the unit, making it impossible. To me, Fakra connector is an SMB connector in a plastic housing with a locking feature. So I cut off the plastic housing and connected the cable. I felt the connected SMB has enough friction to hold itself in place. I guess my way is not the best, but it has been working since seven years ago, never had any issue whatsoever.

I don't have any pictures to show the rear side of the unit, and don't remember which connector is which. 2014 could be different.
Old 09-25-2018 | 12:41 PM

2014 c300 4matic sport
Originally Posted by C300CA
Do you mean the Fakra connector on the cable is too big, or Fakra connector on the head unit is too big?
Mine is 2011, when I tried plugging the Fakra connectorized cable into the head unit, the cable connector is right next to another similar connector on the unit, making it impossible. To me, Fakra connector is an SMB connector in a plastic housing with a locking feature. So I cut off the plastic housing and connected the cable. I felt the connected SMB has enough friction to hold itself in place. I guess my way is not the best, but it has been working since seven years ago, never had any issue whatsoever.

I don't have any pictures to show the rear side of the unit, and don't remember which connector is which. 2014 could be different.
Hi C300CA, the fakra connector I bought is bigger than the one on my radio. Also the one on the radio has 4 pins and the one I bought doesn't have any pins at all.
I'm also lost at which connector I should remove from the radio to connect the one I purchased. From pictures I seen before it looks like it is the green connector on the left side of the radio, but I'm not sure.
I'll try to load some pictures later. thanks
Old 09-25-2018 | 02:09 PM

2011 C300 Sport, P1, MM, Wood, Heated FS, DIY rearview camera. 2002 QX4
Accurately I didn't cut off the Fakra housing. I used my own SMB connector cable after I made sure the connector in 'Fakra' is SMB type or mechanically compatible connector . As for the 4-pin cable I still don't recall but it does make sense, as it provides power to camera. It could be a separate cable like most cameras do.