C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Creaking from front end

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 08:46 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Car
Creaking from front end

2014 c300 4matic sport

While i’m driving especially when going over bumps such as transitioning from road into a drive way I hear a creaking noise from the front end.

I am able to reproduce the noise by pushing down on the front. Which sort of can be described like a old mattress but it’s llike a rubber creaking / rubbing up against something. The noise gets louder depending on the force pushing down.

It seems to become more noticible after it’s been driven. For example, I tried pushing on it today and could
not reproduce it. I took it for a 30 minute drive on side roads and the highway. After I got home I was able to make it creak again consistently by pushing down. If I put my ear up to where the strut mounts inside the engine bay I can hear it very close, almost like it’s right underneath.

I sprayed liquid silicon grease on Friday on everything which seemed to make matters worse and the creaking louder as I got in and out of the car for a few hours or so. It eventually subsided on Saturday Morning.

Im debating whether or not I should replace the sway bar links or if this could be related to the strut mount which just needs lubricating. Possible?

It was only happening on the driver side on Saturday, however today (Monday) it appears to be happening on both sides the same.

any ideas?

Last edited by th1ef; 10-08-2018 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 241 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
I have some bad news for you, and some good news for you.

Try this, by the way. Try driving over a speed bump. Do you only hear it on rebound?

Anyways, if so, then, well, "it's normal". I've gone through 3 or 4 sets of front struts. The issue goes away with brand new struts and then comes back after 3000 miles or so. I've given up and have learned to live with it.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:48 PM

Car
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I have some bad news for you, and some good news for you.

Try this, by the way. Try driving over a speed bump. Do you only hear it on rebound?

Anyways, if so, then, well, "it's normal". I've gone through 3 or 4 sets of front struts. The issue goes away with brand new struts and then comes back after 3000 miles or so. I've given up and have learned to live with it.
hi

You say you replaced the struts, were these with oem or aftermarket?

I did did some testing today and and discovered after I lift up the car and put it back down on the suspension the creaking gets much worse on rebound by just pushing on the car.

I removed the sway bar links today and lowered the car. when I push down the creeking seems to be originating from either the strut or strut mount area.

I called MB and they want $400 per strut not including spring and mount and on top of that I need to find someone to put the spring on for me.

I was was thinking about Blistien struts, as I have seen them mentioned a few times. Does anyone have any experience with these or recommendations on a different brand?

I went for for an alignment just a month ago when they told me my rear shocks were on their way out and caused rear tire cupping. They were replaced along with new tires just a month or 2 ago.

Now im getting these weird front end noises it seems like more from the front driver left side but the right side also does make some noise. I recall back a few months ago I hit a pot hole by accident on the left side so hard that my doors unlocked, I’m wondering if this did damage to the front OEM strut...

any advise guys?

P.s. I’m at 130,000km

Last edited by th1ef; 10-13-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by th1ef

hi

You say you replaced the struts, were these with oem or aftermarket?

I did did some testing today and and discovered after I lift up the car and put it back down on the suspension the creaking gets much worse on rebound by just pushing on the car.

I removed the sway bar links today and lowered the car. when I push down the creeking seems to be originating from either the strut or strut mount area.

I called MB and they want $400 per strut not including spring and mount and on top of that I need to find someone to put the spring on for me.

I was was thinking about Blistien struts, as I have seen them mentioned a few times. Does anyone have any experience with these or recommendations on a different brand?

I went for for an alignment just a month ago when they told me my rear shocks were on their way out and caused rear tire cupping. They were replaced along with new tires just a month or 2 ago.

Now im getting these weird front end noises it seems like more from the front driver left side but the right side also does make some noise. I recall back a few months ago I hit a pot hole by accident on the left side so hard that my doors unlocked, I’m wondering if this did damage to the front OEM strut...

any advise guys?

P.s. I’m at 130,000km

Oem
Old 10-20-2018, 09:45 PM

Car
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Oem
well I replaced the struts today with Bilstein B6, new mounts and strut bearings and replaced the sway bar links as well

noises are all gone, when examining the old shocks when I pushed on the passenger side it made some very light creaking. The drive side made a noticeable creak and upon return was somewhat rough midway.

anyone attempting this with spring compressors be forwarned it was a ***** to get the spring compressor in a workable position without the base getting in the waybut but in the end it was doable.

Old 10-21-2018, 08:08 AM

Received 101 Likes on 89 Posts
18 E63S
Yup I went threw the same thing with the spring compressor last year when I installed my B6 struts also .
But as you already know night and day difference with these struts.
Also my old strut made the same noises when I compress them on the floor.
they we're weak from NYC pot holes.
I replaced all hardware.
Strut mounts strut bearings all bolts .
Spring we're still new condition from recent replacement from dealer.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:08 AM

Car
I noticed today I’m getting a intermittent “pop” sound coming from the left side. Seems to be when I’m turning the wheel but not always. Does anything need to be greased? The only thing I can think of something to do with the spring? Any ideas?

I made sure to install the spring the same way as before and put the rubber gasket between the strut frame and spring and the spring butts up to the metal “stopper” on the base of the strut.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:48 PM

18 E63S
I noticed today I’m getting a intermittent “pop” sound coming from the left side. Seems to be when I’m turning the wheel but not always. Does anything need to be greased? The only thing I can think of something to do with the spring? Any ideas?

I made sure to install the spring the same way as before and put the rubber gasket between the strut frame and spring and the spring butts up to the metal “stopper” on the base of the strut.
you may need to tighten the 22 mm strut nutt some more
Old 10-21-2018, 06:10 PM

Car
I ripped the left strut apart today. Tightened everything

Checked spring and its seated properly. Turned the steering wheel with the car jacked no sound. Reinstalled everything and tighted the bolts super tight using a impact gun and my hand with a jack lifting under the left arm to to put the suspension on load.

Still hearing the pop and I can feel it in the steering wheel and floor slightly. What on earth can it be?

its intermittent and wasn’t there before. Seems to happen when backing up or coming out of a turn after backing up.

i reused the original bolts could this have anything to do with it?

Last edited by th1ef; 10-21-2018 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:15 PM

18 E63S
I ripped the left strut apart today. Tightened everything

Checked spring and its seated properly. Turned the steering wheel with the car jacked no sound. Reinstalled everything and tighted the bolts super tight using a impact gun and my hand with a jack lifting under the left arm to to put the suspension on load.

Still hearing the pop and I can feel it in the steering wheel and floor slightly. What on earth can it be?

its intermittent and wasn’t there before. Seems to happen when backing up or coming out of a turn after backing up.

i reused the original bolts could this have anything to do with it?
a bad strut mount bearing
get a replacement.
try not to use a impact gun that would definitely destroy the bearings in a hart beat
this what you need to do the job
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/14-...l-kit-cta-3039

Last edited by tekfoc; 10-21-2018 at 07:20 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:36 PM

Car
I had tried with a impact gun at first but the bolt did not go down at all really because it was a locking nut with plastic.

I grabbed the strut with a pair of pliers and a rag for padding and slowly bolted the top but down by hand. I made sure to check and make sure there were no marks or anything where I was holding it. (Yes I know you are not supposed to do this) but I made sure there was no damage done to the stuts and did this very carefully.

The popping noise intermittently comes as I’m either just coasting backwards in the garage or when I’m backing out of a parking spot, possibly turning the wheel.

I dont hear/feel it while driving.

Fixed 2 problems and created a new one.

Edit: the only thing I can think of is either something is not bolted to the proper torque but I made sure everything down there was super tight. or I damaged the CV joint but I don’t know if that would constitute a intermittent pop on level ground at slow speeds.

Last edited by th1ef; 10-21-2018 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:48 PM

18 E63S
I had tried with a impact gun at first but the bolt did not go down at all really because it was a locking nut with plastic.

I grabbed the strut with a pair of pliers and a rag for padding and slowly bolted the top but down by hand. I made sure to check and make sure there were no marks or anything where I was holding it. (Yes I know you are not supposed to do this) but I made sure there was no damage done to the stuts and did this very carefully.

The popping noise intermittently comes as I’m either just coasting backwards in the garage or when I’m backing out of a parking spot, possibly turning the wheel.

I dont hear/feel it while driving.

Fixed 2 problems and created a new one.

Edit: the only thing I can think of is either something is not bolted to the proper torque but I made sure everything down there was super tight. or I damaged the CV joint but I don’t know if that would constitute a intermittent pop on level ground at slow speeds.
could of damaged the cv joint
you might have had it extended to far when doing the strut.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:06 PM

Car
Originally Posted by tekfoc

could of damaged the cv joint
you might have had it extended to far when doing the strut.
i also used a camber tool to measure my camber. My right tire was -0.5 same as before but my left tire is +1 could this be an alignment issue causing this?

i don’t want to take it to get an alignment if I need to remove struts etc to investigate further issues.

Thoughts?
Old 10-22-2018, 05:04 AM

18 E63S

i also used a camber tool to measure my camber. My right tire was -0.5 same as before but my left tire is +1 could this be an alignment issue causing this?

i don’t want to take it to get an alignment if I need to remove struts etc to investigate further issues.

Thoughts?
yes can definitely cause it
if you have ramps place the vehicle on it and losing the lower strut bolts to get a close camber number .
then tighten bolts.
i would still take the car afterwards to alignment shop.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:59 PM

Car
I had the car aligned the noise has gone away.
Old 10-26-2018, 03:41 AM

18 E63S
I had the car aligned the noise has gone away.
glad to hear.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:03 AM

Car

glad to hear.
the saga continues....

noticed the rattle over bumps like transitioning into driveways returned. I went and retightned the sway bar links and checked all bolts to make sure they were SUPER tight. I torqued everything one side at a time using a jack under the lower control arm bolt.

After putting the car back on the ground I started getting the popping again. I think I’ve been getting the popping the last few days but it was very faint and not consistently.

Now it it seems I still have a small amount of rattle when transitioning into drive ways, I hear a pop when backing up out of parking spots and it appears the pop sometimes can be related to the steering wheel being turned in a certain direction. (Can’t remember which way). Another thing I have noticed is if I apply the brakes lightly but abruptly while driving I feel the “pop” every so slightly directly under my feet but it’s not as loud as when backing up.

When i jack up the car And I turn the steering wheel back and forth and it seems fine, nothing abnormal and there’s no play in the wheels either when trying to move them by hand.

Any guesses on what this can be?

Ive already been through hell and back in the past 3 months;

new tires due to cupping from bad struts
new rear struts
new front struts
new sway bar links

what else could it be? I can’t keep throwing money at this

EDIT: very light popping could be felt/heard under my feet while driving straight in stop and go highway traffic. It wasn't consistent but would happen sometimes, maybe 5-10 times during a 40 minute drive. The loudest pops seem to be backing up out of a parking spot at low speeds. Popping sound occurs randomly and appears to be present when going forward and reverse, on uneven and even ground at slow and high speeds but always intermittently it would seem.

Last edited by th1ef; 10-30-2018 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:32 AM

18 E63S

the saga continues....

noticed the rattle over bumps like transitioning into driveways returned. I went and retightned the sway bar links and checked all bolts to make sure they were SUPER tight. I torqued everything one side at a time using a jack under the lower control arm bolt.

After putting the car back on the ground I started getting the popping again. I think I’ve been getting the popping the last few days but it was very faint and not consistently.

Now it it seems I still have a small amount of rattle when transitioning into drive ways, I hear a pop when backing up out of parking spots and it appears the pop sometimes can be related to the steering wheel being turned in a certain direction. (Can’t remember which way). Another thing I have noticed is if I apply the brakes lightly but abruptly while driving I feel the “pop” every so slightly directly under my feet but it’s not as loud as when backing up.

When i jack up the car And I turn the steering wheel back and forth and it seems fine, nothing abnormal and there’s no play in the wheels either when trying to move them by hand.

Any guesses on what this can be?

Ive already been through hell and back in the past 3 months;

new tires due to cupping from bad struts
new rear struts
new front struts
new sway bar links

what else could it be? I can’t keep throwing money at this

EDIT: very light popping could be felt/heard under my feet while driving straight in stop and go highway traffic. It wasn't consistent but would happen sometimes, maybe 5-10 times during a 40 minute drive. The loudest pops seem to be backing up out of a parking spot at low speeds. Popping sound occurs randomly and appears to be present when going forward and reverse, on uneven and even ground at slow and high speeds but always intermittently it would seem.

could be bad lower control arm bushings or upper.
use a long pry bar and start moving control arms to see if you can get it to pop.
use it on stabilizer bar also.

Old 10-30-2018, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Every bolt on your car has a torque spec. Don't just randomly start to torque the crap out of bolts. Also, throwing money at your car is your prerogative but seldom is it a good idea.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:54 AM

Car
Given up and booked it at the dealer. They can figure it out.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:58 PM

Car
Given up and booked it at the dealer. They can figure it out.
My OCD got the best of me, I got home and started testing again, the springs were
moving fine when turning the steering wheel. However I discovered that I could hear something “loose” when I put my ear up to the left strut mount as the car drove backwards and forwards a few feet.

I ripped apart part the driver front strut and checked the top bolt and kept trying to tighten it which doesn’t seem like it went much further. i reassembled everything carefully and first lightly bolted in the stut from the top and then assembled the bottom. I put the 2 bolts through the botttom and and sway bar link all without nuts just to get it in place and the strut jumped up even higher where i had just bolted everything snug. The bolts became loose. I tightened them again snug and continued to bolt everything at the bottom while making sure I had a load on the stut under the lower control arm (this time I only jacked up 1 side of the car opposed to initial install when I had the whole front jacked.) I lowered the car on the wheels and then torqued the top 3 bolts. LORD BEHOLD NO POPS. I drove around for an hour doing different maneuvers, no popping! I went over speed bumps - NOTHING.
The following users liked this post:
xsever (10-31-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 11:16 PM

18 E63S

My OCD got the best of me, I got home and started testing again, the springs were
moving fine when turning the steering wheel. However I discovered that I could hear something “loose” when I put my ear up to the left strut mount as the car drove backwards and forwards a few feet.

I ripped apart part the driver front strut and checked the top bolt and kept trying to tighten it which doesn’t seem like it went much further. i reassembled everything carefully and first lightly bolted in the stut from the top and then assembled the bottom. I put the 2 bolts through the botttom and and sway bar link all without nuts just to get it in place and the strut jumped up even higher where i had just bolted everything snug. The bolts became loose. I tightened them again snug and continued to bolt everything at the bottom while making sure I had a load on the stut under the lower control arm (this time I only jacked up 1 side of the car opposed to initial install when I had the whole front jacked.) I lowered the car on the wheels and then torqued the top 3 bolts. LORD BEHOLD NO POPS. I drove around for an hour doing different maneuvers, no popping! I went over speed bumps - NOTHING.
great .
Old 01-28-2019, 03:48 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2009 C350
Yup I went threw the same thing with the spring compressor last year when I installed my B6 struts also .
But as you already know night and day difference with these struts.
Also my old strut made the same noises when I compress them on the floor.
they we're weak from NYC pot holes.
I replaced all hardware.
Strut mounts strut bearings all bolts .
Spring we're still new condition from recent replacement from dealer.
Do you recall at what mileage?
Old 01-28-2019, 04:02 PM

18 E63S
Around 55.000 or 56.000 miles
Old 01-29-2019, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 241 Posts
2016 S550, 2015 Honda Civic Hybrid
Interesting outcome ... I had a lot of clunking after changing my front struts and torqueing everything to spec while in the air. Perhaps the lesson is you can't get the correct torque unless there's weight on the suspension?

I ended up taking my car to a local independent who said they found the bolts were loose and tightened them, and haven't heard a peep since then.