C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Broke Central Valve while doing timing chain

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C250 (M271 1.8L T)
Unhappy Broke Central Valve while doing timing chain

EDITED POST (strikethroughs are things I already answered looking at the situation a bit better. Bold is new additions)

I come with my hat in my hands with a question. Is there any way that I can remove the central valve from my intake camshaft WITHOUT removing my timing chain? The procedure for releasing the timing chain tensioner suggests counter holding the intake camshaft while rotating the crank counter to rotation at 45nm. When I was removing the T100 security socket off the central valve, I angled it ever so slightly and broke off the stem from the valve. I have a new valve on order, but will need to remove the old valve. I know this holds the sprocket to the cam, so I am not hopeful for positive answers but someone might know better. FWIW, I did not release the tensioner yet so there is a tiny bit of slack in the chain still. I did however rivet my chain on already so if I do have to remove the chain to get the valve off, I would greatly appreciate links to a place to purchase a new master link for the timing chain.

I see I will be able to remove the central valve without undoing my timing chain. New question, that sucker is in there TIGHT! Any suggestions on how to remove that central valve? Wrench size to hold cam in place? (It seems like the flats on the cam are not parallel, rather angled inward like so: \ / ) The cam holding tool seems to not be strong enough for this.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I am almost feeling defeated at this point. No longer defeated! I see light at the end of the tunnel now.

This is the part I am talking about (not my images):

Broke Central Valve while doing timing chain-quu4ang.png
Broke Central Valve while doing timing chain-4rk1yrd.jpg

Last edited by M.73; 10-14-2018 at 05:06 PM.