C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Replaced the chrome trim on steering wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 04:29 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
2007 CLK550 Coupe, 2003 CL600, 2012
Replaced the chrome trim on steering wheel

Hard to tell from this angle but it is a crap chrome job for sure.

I just picked up the C350 a few weeks ago. Noticed the steering wheel chrome trim was all scagged up and sharp as hell if you were to run your hand over the serrated edge. The bottom of the trim was also peeling and quite ugly. I did a few searches on you tube and found some very good videos of how to replace the trim.
You actually don't have to remove the air bag as the video says, you don't even have to pull the battery lead off. The chrome trim will come off around the air bag.
The hardest part of the whole job is releasing the clips that hold the air bag to the steering wheel.

Peeling chrome was sharp as a knife.

Tools Required:
Small flat blade screwdriver, real small with a skinny shaft.
T20 Torx driver.

First, locate the small dimples on the back side of the steering wheel. This is where you are going to stick the screwdriver in and release the clips for the air bag. They are kind of inline with the MB star legs. There is also a very good video showing exactly what you are aiming for with the screwdriver. I had to watch several different videos to understand exactly what I was aiming for. You need to feel very carefully the resistance of the springs as you push them. Once you are positive you are getting some spring action then keep pushing and the air bag will pop up on the side you are pushing on. Next, move to the other side of the wheel and do the same to release the other side.
If you have a hard time doing this, keep watching videos until you find the one that shows the location of the springs close up.
Next take the T20 torx and on the back side of the wheel you will find two screws on the lower half of the spokes. Take them out.
Next, pull the air bag out and let it hang gently from it's cables. Remove two more T20 screws from the top left and right side of the trim.
Pull the whole assembly out a little bit. There is a connector at the top of the wheel. Get in there with the small screwdriver and release the clip and pull the plug straight out.
This is the connector for the wheel buttons. Once you have the plug removed, pull the wires gently out of their holder in the steering wheel.
Now you can continue gently pulling the trim piece out and wiggle it carefully up and down slightly. It helps to have three hands at this point, and if you are having a real hard time I suggest you un-hook the battery and wait half an hour, then pull the air bag connector out and then you have all kinds of room.
Once you have the trim free just manipulate the air bag with one hand and the trim with the other and like magic it will come right off.
Next you have to transfer the switches from the old trim to the new trim. Again MB keeps it simple and uses more T20 screws, 6 of them, 3 on the left 3 on the right.
Transfer your switches over, and reverse the process. One thing to note at this point is that there was a groound connector on my air bag that came off while I was moving it around. It was a fairly loose connection, but I just plugged it back in and all was good.

New trim piece before the button transplant. Notice the black piece that says AIRBAG does not come with the trim. Make sure you transfer that from the old trim piece.

New trim piece with buttons in place. Don't undoo the left and right electrical connectors, just the center one.

Screw in the two left and right screws, screw in the bottom back screws, and line up the airbag and give it a little push and it will clip in with a couple of clicks.
You are done. Sit back and admire the amazing job you did. Aslo think of how much money you saved. I bet you couldn't get out of the dealership for under 500 bucks to do this job.
The part cost me 109 canadian bucks on ebay for an original MB part.

My sexy ride.

Hope this little write up will help the next person.

Last edited by Kelvin Bellrose; 11-04-2018 at 10:44 PM.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:33 PM

Received 132 Likes on 111 Posts
‘15 C300 4M Sport, ‘20 GLC300
Nice ride and write up on your W204. It does us W205 members no good tho. Try posting in the W204 section.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:48 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
2007 CLK550 Coupe, 2003 CL600, 2012
thanks

Last edited by Kelvin Bellrose; 11-03-2018 at 03:33 PM.