C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

New hid bulb changes color when getting warm

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes c220 cdi 2011
New hid bulb changes color when getting warm

Okey so my c220 2011 hid bulb turned a purple/pink color 2days ago on the driver side so I went to the dealership and bought 2 new original hid bulbs. Its the xenarc classic from osram that originally was on the car so I went with 2new of those.

I made the change on the drivers side and turned on the lights and at first it was looking almost the same as the old bulb but after maybe 1min or so the new bulb started to turn yellow and ended up with a more yellowish color than the old bulb on the passengers side. Is this normal for a brand new bulb? I’ve herd of new bulbs getting a bit more blue after some time in use but never the other way around.

Im thinking of switching the current bulbs between the passenger and drivers side just to see if there might be something else than the bulb itself but id rather get some input first since I am a novice on both cars and hid bulbs.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:26 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Old bulb are probably broken in more and have shifted up the kelvin scale which is why the new replacement bulb appears yellower.The Xenarc originals are cheap bulbs that in the 4300K range so you'll have yellow injection. Just put in both bulbs and let them break in after a week of use to see what color they settle on. Or if you wanted something whiter, you can go with higher end Osram Xenarc bulbs (CBI, CBH, CBB). Or if you want the brightest bulb available (although not the whitest), Philips 85415 XV2 XTREME Vision. If price is a limiting factor, you can go with Morimoto XB35 HID bulbs which are priced around the same as Xenarc originals with range of 5500K (pure white) and 6500K (white with a slight bluish hue).
Old 02-27-2019, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes c220 cdi 2011
Originally Posted by AZN Optics
Old bulb are probably broken in more and have shifted up the kelvin scale which is why the new replacement bulb appears yellower.The Xenarc originals are cheap bulbs that in the 4300K range so you'll have yellow injection. Just put in both bulbs and let them break in after a week of use to see what color they settle on. Or if you wanted something whiter, you can go with higher end Osram Xenarc bulbs (CBI, CBH, CBB). Or if you want the brightest bulb available (although not the whitest), Philips 85415 XV2 XTREME Vision. If price is a limiting factor, you can go with Morimoto XB35 HID bulbs which are priced around the same as Xenarc originals with range of 5500K (pure white) and 6500K (white with a slight bluish hue).
yes well I’ve heard of that fenomenon however, the new bulb is pretty much the same color as the old bulb Just after I have turned the car on.(let’s say 5000k just to make it easier) but after a little while (I suspect when the bulb has started to get a bit hotter) it slowly fades down to a more yellow accent (looks like it slowly drops like 1000k and ends up at 4000k). So my question is, is this normal? Do new bulbs usually drop in color when they get hotter?