C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Suspension Noise and Parts Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 02:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 C300 4matic Sport sedan
Suspension Noise and Parts Questions

My car recently developed a clunking in the front end. Seems to be coming from the left side. I've checked the condition of the bushings and fasteners multiple times and all is tight and in good condition. I decided to replace both struts and SB end links. First question is about the strut mounts. I know there are plastic housings with bearings in/attached to them, are they supposed to have vertical play in them? Pretty sure mine need to be replaced anyway but I didn't have them on hand so I just cleaned them up and reassembled the coilover. Installed the new SB end links(mevotech supreme) and tightened them as much as possible without stripping the Allen key in the stud. Loaded the suspension and tightened all the bolts down. When I tested it I was disappointed to still hear the noise but a different tone, more plastic-y than the metal-y noise it was making. But even more disappointed to hear a new knock. I can feel this one in my feet and am assuming it has something to do with the SB or their end links? Btw, on 2013-2014 models the right side. Brake line and sensor wire retainer must be modified for use with billstein 22-193483 reassembly
Old 06-10-2019, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 241 Posts
2016 S550, 2015 Honda Civic Hybrid
I had fits with my front end after replacing struts in 2017 and tightening everything to and beyond the spec ... finally had to pay my indy shop to (their words) "tighten all the bolts" to get it to stop clunking. It seemed at the time that the SB links might have been a major factor since that connection to the strut is so funky.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:18 PM

I had issues with my Honda in regards to SB end links. I sandwiched steel and rubber washers together on the face and back side of the studs and tightened to spec. But that was a lateral movement issue where there was too much gap because the stud wasnt threaded all the way and would stop the nut from drawing them tight. This design(MB), though nearly identical, doesn't seem to have that particular issue. From what I've gathered, the SB bushings can not be replaced? It requires an entirely new SB with the brackets and bushings pre-installed? Also, did your top hat bearing assembly come off the mount easily and with vertical play along the shaft?
Old 06-13-2019, 02:38 PM

New mounts and bearings just came in and I can confirm there should be no vertical play in them Lol. Waiting on the last package to be delivered. Hopefully this puts an end to my construction crew under my car noise issue.